Tummy Tuck During a Partial Hysterectomy?

I have to undergo hysterectomy, and would love to do a tummy tuck at the same time. Is it safe and cost-effective?

Yes a tummy tuck is possible

+2

If you are a healthy non-obese patient whose gynecologist and plastic surgeon work frequently together, it can be a reasonable combination procedure as the other doctors have stated. Just be sure to listen to any hesitation on their parts and not to push them in this direction if they don't feel it is the best thing for you.

Tummy tuck: cost effective and safe.

+2

The only way to know if this is an option for you is to discuss this option with your gynecologist. If it is an option it combines surgeries and reduces cost.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Combining tummy tuck and partial hysterectomy

+2

Babybelly,

Any time you combine procedures as complex as hysterectomy and abdominoplasty, your surgical risks increase. This being known, the risks are still low, and I have performed many such combined surgeries safely. Ask your gynecologist if there is a plastic surgeon that he works with or can recommend for a dual surgery. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

It is safe and can save you money

+2

This combination of procedures can be safely done and may also save you some money, especially with some of the anesthesia and operating room fees. If the hysterectomy is being done because of excessive bleeding you need to be sure that you are not anemic. Such risks as DVT, and wound infections maybe slightly increased, but not to a level that would prevent the surgery.

Robert D. Goldstein, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Yes....why waste a good anesthetic

+2

this is very commonly done, as long as your gynecologist is agreeable to it. there should be some savings by doing so, as opposed to just doing a purely cosmetic abdominoplasty on a separate occasion. the recovery should be about the same, so you will spend half as much recovery time as you would if you had the two procedures done separately.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck can be done together with a hysterectomy.

+2

To babybelly,

Hi! If you are in good health, this can be a safe and cost effective combination. We have done this a number of times.

It is good when the gynecologist and the plastic surgeon are used to working together. I start the operation by making the incision and raising the lower part of the abdominal skin.

Then it is very important that the gynecologist expose the uterus by cutting the fascia in the midline between the rectus muscles (the linea alba). This is NOT how gynecologists usually do it, so it has to be discussed in advance.

After the hysterectomy is completed, then I finish the tummy tuck.

During this kind of surgery, a number of steps are taken to prevent blood clots in the legs.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Yes

+2

It is generally considered safe to combine these two procedures. In fact, it is not uncommon to have a concurrent tummy tuck with a hysterectomy. Any time surgery is extended (in the case of multiple procedures) the risk is increased - things like blood clots in the legs, infection, etc. It would be best to have surgeons who have worked together before, so each knows what the other is doing.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your research.

Dr. Kaufman

David L. Kaufman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck during hysterectomy is safe but plastic surgeon and gynecologist must be in agreement.

+2

Dear Baby Belly,

I often do a tummy tuck in combination with hysterectomy. However your Gyneologic surgeon will have to agree with this option. Your Plastic Surgeon and Gynecologist should talk and discuss whether they are comfortable with this arrangement.

In my opinion, it works best when I start the case, elevate the tummy tuck flaps, and then have the Gynecologist come in and do the hysterectomy. This is easier for the Gynecologist because the abdominal wall is already opened for him. It is better for the plastic surgeon because he controls the skin incision.

In my experience this technique is safe and cost effective for the patient.

The key is that both of your surgeons have to be in agreement.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Absolutely

+2

Hi there,

I think that, provided you are healthy and that your gynecologist is in agreement, combining your procedures makes sense, is safe, and will certainly save you some money. The only thing to bear in mind is that because your gynecologist will be operating inside your abdomen, and because the inner lining of the uterus may not be sterile, the risk of a wound infection may be a bit higher than if you were having the tummy tuck separately, but in my experience this increase in risk is not appreciable.

Talk to your plastic surgeon and your gynecologist. They'll be able to advise you of their preferences and comfort combining the procedures.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

You can do it, but don't count on the insurance company to pay for it

+2

Babybelly,

Performing an abdominoplasty after a hysterectomy is common, however there is often a misconception by the patient that they will not have to pay for the operating room time for that portion of the procedure since they are having and "insurance approved procedure anyway." However, most hospitals will calculate the time required for the hysterectomy and charge that to the insurance company and then you are responsible for the remainder of the time.

Also, the surgeon who performs the hysterectomy is not the same surgeon as the one who performs the abdominoplasty. It will take coordination between your plastic surgeon and your GYN surgeon. Some plastic surgeons do not like to do a combined case like this, since they end up having to wait around to do their portion of the procedure.

So, in the end, it will be beneficial in term of only having one recovery. However, financially, it will likely make no difference if you have the procedures together or at separate times. I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD