Tummy Tuck for Deep Fold After Two C-sections?

It's been two years since my last c-section. I had two c-sections 13 months apart. My stomach is pretty close to flat except for my little problem. I've noticed that when I stretch my arms above my head it pulls on my left lower stomach. When I stand to the side my stomach is flat on the right and I have this fold on my left, like there's skin stuck to my abdominal wall. It's deeper in person than the pic shows. What could this be? What could be done, avoiding a full tummy tuck? Would insurance pay for this? 

Tummy tuck for C-section irregularity

+2

A mini tummy tuck will generally make the C-section area even with the rest of the abdomen.

A tummy tuck will tighten the deep layer and remove extra skin from the abdomen.

It is hard to tell from your pictures, but it appears that you might want to lose some weight before having a tummy tuck if that is at all possible. Patients who are closer to their ideal weight get the best results.

Tummy tuck

+1

I doubt if insurance would pay for tummy tuck; however, it may for a scar revision.  A better photo may show whether you need a tummy tuck or a scar revision.  Good luck!

Shahin Javaheri, MD

C-section scar revision

+1

It is difficult to tell from the picture but any scar can cause irregularities. If your abdomen is flat then you probably do not need a full abdominoplasty you can have a mini tummy tuck which will help with the scar revision as well. Make sure you are not smoking as this can contribute to fat necrosis.which can lead to unevenness of the scar. Depending on your insurance plan the some of the scar revision may be covered.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

C-section scars often benefit from tummy tuck procedures

+1

As a c-section heals, there is often a degree of adherence of the skin or fat, under the skin to the muscular abdominal wall. A c-section scar may be tethered or pulled in certain positions, or there can be an indentation, or a worse, and over-folding of skin which has become loose after pregnancy. Both mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck can improve the situation by releasing the adherence and indentation, and reducing the loose skin. Whether a mini or a full tummy tuck is appropriate will depend on the strength and laxity of the abdominal muscles, and the amount of skin laxity after pregnancy.

Because your stomach is 'pretty close to flat' and your problem is limited to the left side only, tummy tuck may not be the answer. You might consider a scar revision on the left side alone to correct the deeper adhesion. Insurance coverage could apply and a predetermination by your surgeon will provide this answer.

Best of luck.

You may not want a tummy tuck, but it's probably the best thing for you

+1

It's really hard to appreciate the extent of your problem from your photograph. It does seem as though the indentation from the scar is somewhat worsened by generalized fat deposition on the abdominal wall.

Your best bet is weight loss to get closer to your ideal body weight. Once you're there, a fully tummy tuck with liposuction of the hips will give you a remarkably improved abdominal contour. Insurance will not cover the cost of this procedure, nor will it likely cover any other procedure to improve the scar, as the goal of all of these procedures is to improve appearance and not fix an underlying medical problem.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Mini tummy tuck with scar revision will help you.

+1

Hi.

You don't need a full tummy tuck. A mini tummy tuck with scar revision of the stuck tissues  will do what you need, and you should get partial insurance reimbursement.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck after C-section

+1

It is a little bit difficult to tell from the picture why you have the indent on the left side only. Usually the indentation relates to the incision, which is in the mid-line.

For whatever reason, there appears to be some scar tissue under the skin there. There are a number of treatment options that might help, but you would need to see a plastic surgeon for an opinion. Insurance will not cover it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tethering of skin after C-section

+1

It looks like there might be some scar tissue from the previous C-sections which is pulling on the skin when you stretch causing the puckering you see. One way to treat that is to go through the old C-section scar and cut the scar tissue between the skin and the muscle. This would not require a full tummy tuck. Unfortunately it would also not be covered by insurance because it is not a medically necessary procedure.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage of Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+1

Medical insurance does not and will not pay for Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) surgery.

The picture is not of the best quality but it appears you are somewhat overweight with fat not only on the front of the tummy but on the hips as well. The BEST Tummy Tuck results will be in women who are close to their ideal weight and have a BMI of 22 to 27. As such, for the best results, you will have to lose some weight before having any surgery. When your weight comes close to ideal, you may benefit from Liposuction of the back and hips as well as a Tummy Tuck.

Dr. P. Aldea