Tummy Tuck Vs Liposuction

I'm a healthy 20 year old male 155 lbs 5 feet 9inches tall 32" waist 37" hips. I weighed 260 lbs around January 2010 and went on a extreme diet and lost over 100 lbs now I weigh 155 lbs I keep trying to loose the belly fat without success everything else like my arms are super skinny. My question is do i need a tummy tuck or liposuction? How much would the surgery cost?

Liposuction or Tummy tuck?

+3

Rocko,

Congratulations on your weight loss!! I take care of a LOT of weight loss patients and I know how hard it is to do what you have done. You should be very proud of all of your hard work.

In looking at your photos you do not seem to have any significant excess fat. In fact, for someone that has lost 100 pounds you have less excess skin than most. There does seem to be a good amount of skin laxity and there is some hanging skin in the lower tummy. Your muscle tone looks good. I would probably not recommend liposuction even though you feel that you would like to lose more fat. It seems like your main problem now is the loose and excess skin. The likely best choice of procedure would be a mini or full tummy tuck. If the only problem that bothers you is the hanging skin in the lower tummy than a mini-tummy tuck would be a good choice. After all that weight loss you probably have a lot of looseness to the skin. Because of that you would probably benefit more from a full tummy tuck. Without an examination its hard for me to give you the best advice. If you came to the office I could give you a lot better advice for your case specifically.

I host a radio show every week and we will soon be doing a show on tummy tucks. You may want to look out for that show and listen in. The show is called New Reflections and you can find it either at voiceamerica.com or in iTunes under podcasts. 

No matter what procedure you choose (or possibly none at all) you already look great. You should have a nice result and enjoy the new you for a long time to come!

I hope this info helps!

You need skin removal, not more skin "emptying!"

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss; it is truly a testament to what motivation, diet, and exercise CAN obtain!

But, what remains is loose skin, not fat. There is a thin layer of fat, but what you are describing, and your photos show, is loose skin over a well-muscled lean body mass.

You are NOT a candidate for liposuction (any variety); rather, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, or full circumferential belt lift (lower body lift) is required to surgically remove the excess loose skin. You cannot exercise loose skin into tautness! Let me repeat: You cannot tighten loose skin with any amount of exercise.

This is true for female abdomens stretched by pregnancy, or any body area whose skin was stretched beyond its tensile strength and innate elasticity by obesity. Surgery to remove that loose skin is required. Liposuction won't help, and even if there is enough fat to suction, doing so will only deflate it more.

A tummy tuck in Minneapolis (in our accredited outpatient on-site surgical facility) is around $8000 (all-inclusive); a lower body lift is about $15,000. Hospital-based procedures are almost always much more costly, and the usual hospital anesthetic techniques may increase risk of overnight admission (nausea and vomiting), adding more cost (and exposure to sick patients and bad bacteria).

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs liposuction after massive weight loss

+2

After massive weight loss, there is often extra skin needs to be removed.

Liposuction alone worsens the problem; same skin, less inside it.

Often the correct solution is a combination of the two.

Brent Moelleken, MD

TT vs lipo?

+1

You are in very good shape and not in need of lipo but rather skin excision or a tummy tuck.  It is certainly possible with the following caveat: A physical exam must be done to rule out a hernia or weakness in the abdominal wall (which in your case is doubtful). Your skin laxity and quality is evaluated. Your health status has to be evaluated. This can go very smooth if all the bases are covered from a medical standpoint. Safety is number one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Congrats on you losing the weight, unfortunately Liposuction won’t give you the results you are looking for. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is what you need to remove the excess skin from the weight loss, good luck with everything.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  It is an excellent reflection on your self control and motivation.  Considering the amount of weight that you have lost, your photos show surprisingly little loose skin.  A tummy tuck is a possibility, but you may be able to achieve your objectives with a mini abdominoplasty. Consult with 2 - 3 surgeons in your area, and they can advise you an optimal surgical plan.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction

+1

In the pictures, it does appear that you have excess abdominal skin below your belly button. You would be a good candidate for an extended mini tummy tuck. The surgeon cost including anesthesia and operating room fees is between 5,000- 6,000.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss

+1

Hello ~

From examination of your photos, it would appear that you are a candidate for a tummy tuck, as your primary issue seems to be skin excess, which is not managed by lipoplasty.  Congratulations on the weight loss. 

Best ~

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Liposuction vs. tummy tuck after 100 lbs weight loss.

+1

You should be proud of yourself for having the dedication to lose the weight. According to your pictures, you only have excess skin which would not be addressed with liposuction. Therefore, my recommendation would be to have an abdominoplasty (a.k.a. tummy tuck).

M. Keith Hanna, MD

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

Great job on your weight loss but now the hard part starts - keeping the weight off and resuming a sustainable diet.    I would hold off on any sort of body contouring until your weight has been stable for a year.  You really don't want to have surgery and then regain a significant amount of weight.    That scenario can make for a bizarre shape.  If after a year you look similar to these photos, I would recommend a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  You issue is one of loose, excess skin.  Liposuction will not help but an abdominoplasty would.   Usually an abdominoplasty runs about $8000.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD