Tummy Tuck or Cool Sculpture?

What would be the best option, tummy tuck or cool sculpture? I am 45 years old, have given birth to two big kids, one ceasarian. I would like to get rid of some excess fat on my abdomen, love handles on my hips and some loose skin. It is all in all 15-20 pounds. If cool sculpture is an option, what to do with the loose skin? Assuming surgery is the only real solution for that, would the surgery be as drastically as a tummy tuck (as it comes to recovery period / temporary physical handicaps etc?

Tummy tuck or Laser liposuction

+2

Generally if there is loose skin in the abdomen, the best option is a tummy tuck. But that can be combined with liposuction to remove the fat and give you better contouring. 

Tummy Tuck Versus Cool Sculpture

+2

Based on the information that you provided it appears that a tummy tuck would be your best option.  Posting some photos would provide a better picture of what may be best for you.  Cool Sculpture does little for loose skin and has not been shown to be more effective than traditional liposuction.  A combination of a tummy tuck and liposuction usually provides the optimal aesthetic result in a situation as yours.  If you choose to undergo Cool Sculpture only, be prepared to accept some degree of skin laxity that may detract from your final result.  A board-certified plastic surgeon can help you make the optimal choice.  Best of Luck!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Only tummy tuck and liposuction will help you.

+2

Hi.

1)  From your description, "cool sculpture" will not give you a noticeable improvement.

2)  Also from your description, a mini tummy tuck will also give you disappointing results,  because there almost always is loose skin above the belly button.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck for laxity

+2

As a general rule liposuction will contour, though tummy tuck is best for laxity. After two large babies the tummy tuck seems the likely option. There is much to discuss about tummy tuck. Start with a board certified surgeon in your area.

peterejohnsonmd

Sounds like you need a combination

+2

If you are overweight, then perhaps, weight loss, combined with liposuction and a tummy tuck would help you the most. But, you must be seen in order to know what is the best thing for you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Loose Skin

+2

If you have loose skin, then there is no question about it - you would benefit most from an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.  If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Tummy Tuck or Cool Sculpture

+2

If you have loose skin, tummy tuck is probably your better option.  Cool Sculpture does not really tighten the skin significantly.  You may also benefit from hip and flank liposuction at the time of your tummy tuck procedure.  Your recovery period from surgery is typically four to six weeks, and several months until you really see your final result.  Do yourself a favor and see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can assess you and make a recommendation.  If you see a doctor who only offers Cool Sculpture, and doesn't do surgery, I can almost guarantee what their recommendation might be...

Gregory Swank, MD
Hickory Plastic Surgeon

Photos

+2

It would need photos to be able to determine what your best options would be-typically the most effective and permanent solution to loose and lax skin is either a mini-or full TT-depending on how severe.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Based on your description of child rearing and “loose skin” you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. It will be in your best interest to visit with a few well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons direct examination and advice.

Tummy Tuck to Address Loose Skin

+1

Cool Sculpture is great for modest fat sculpting in the abdomen but will not address loose skin. If loose skin is your primary concern, then you would want to consider a mini or full abdominoplasty with the possibility of liposuction. I would advise that you start looking for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon