How Often Do People Die During Tummy Tuck Procedures?

My two biggest concerns about this whole procedure is 1 how often do people die from this procedure 2) how do I make the best of this operation? Meaning I do not want to get a tummy tuck and at the end of all the healing and swelling it still seems like I did not have a tummy tuck. I guess what I want to know as well is how many inches around my waist/midsection will I lose? This tummy tuck would also benefit me because I am in the Army and I get my measurements taken every 6 months in my wasit.

Death and Tummy tuck Surgery

+1

Yes the risks of dying after tummy tuck surgery are very very low but they can happen. Longer operations increase these risks as due patient health problems and bad habits like smoking. Your plastic surgeon should candidly discuss these risks as well as the expected outcome of your tummy tuck surgery.  without a thorough exam it is difficult to answer your other questions or to make predictions of weight loss or decrease in inches.

Surgery and risks

+1

There are risk factors involved with any type of surgery. It is important to make certain that your reputable surgeon is board certified in Plastic Surgery. It is also important to make sure that the facility where your procedure will be performed is accredited. Investigate the credentials of your anesthesiologist as well as your surgeon.  By doing a little research, you should have all of the information you need and the piece of mind that you are in the safest environment possible for your procedure. Best of luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgical risk.

+1

The risk of dying from a tummy tuck operation when performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in an accredited surgical facility is exceptionally small. All surgery carries risks, with patient co-morbidities being a large part of these risks. DVT and pulmonary embolism are of particular concern. As for results, this cannot be determined from 3 photos on an internet website. You need to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation. If you are planning on losing any weight, do this several months before your surgery! This way your results will be more predictable and longer lasting. It is rare for a patient to have a tummy tuck and afterwards feel as though no surgery was performed.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Risk of death

+1

Risk of death with a tummy tuck is exceedingly rare.  It usually is secondary to a blood clot in the lungs.  There are preventive measures that may be taken to decrease these risks such as compression stockings, early ambulation and blood thinners.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to ensure the best result with the least risk.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Death after tummy tuck

+1

Death is an exceedingly rare complication after tummy tuck. The most commonly feared reason for death after abdominoplasty is pulmonary embolism after deep venous thrombosis (DVT). In layman's terms, a blood clot originating from the lungs can break off and go to the lungs. The best way to treat this complication is through prevention. Early walking after surgery is important and, if your doctor identifies you as high risk, you may need blood thinners during the initial postoperative period to minimize your risk.

It's hard to know how mahy inches you will lose from around your waist. The best possible results from surgery come from patient's who are close to their ideal body weight.

Best of luck - Sam Jejurikar, MD

Risks and tummy tucks

+1

The risk from dying from a tummy tuck is very low when performed by a well trained plastic surgeon in an accredited surgical facility with proper anesthesia; otherwise, the risks can be significantly elevated. There are many considerations that play a role in risk and those can be discussed by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Whether or not you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck can't be fully ascertained by your photos. A physical examination will be needed to determine what would be the prudent course of action.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

How often to people die with a tummy tuck

+1

Very fortunately, it is quite rare to have people die with any cosmetic surgery.  Of course, it can and does happen but proper patient selection and attention to detail by both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist will make this extremely unlikely.  Be sure to discuss with your chosen surgeon these concerns and always be completely honest about any health issues and any medications you  take.  As for the result, it is not really predictable what your measurements will be after surgery.  Based on your photos, you should be able to get a good result but it would be even better if you were able to lose some weight prior to the surgery.  good luck to you!

Death After Tummy Tuck

+1

Death from a tummy tuck is an exceedingly rare complication if you are young and in  good health. The best way to minimize the risk of complications is to see a board certified plastic surgeon and have surgery in a certified surgery center with a board certified anesthesiologist putting you to sleep. Make sure you ask you surgeon about all the risks, especially blood clots in the legs (DVT) which can be a potenitially fatal complication. As for the outcome, it is impossible to predict, but ask to see pictures of patients before and after surgery so you can gain some idea of your surgeon's results. All in all it is a very worthwhile procedure which is safe to have as long as you do your due diligence.

Good Luck

Web reference: http://www.ljcsc.com

Tummy tuck complications are rare, but can be serious

+1

Like with any operations, complications can occur during and after tummy tuck surgery. Some complications are life-threatening, but these problems are exceedingly rare. Some of these complications include pulmonary embolism (blood clot to lungs), bowel perforation, infection, and wound healing problems. Seek out of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Web reference: http://www.scottsattlermd.com

Safety of Tummy Tuck

+1

Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck is a very safe procedure when performed by qualified and board certified plastic surgeons in accrediated facilities with proper pre- and post-op care.  Prior to your surgery, your surgeon should evaluate your health and order any tests, studies or consultations that are necessary to ensure that you are healthy for surgery.

Good Luck 

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com