Tummy Tuck for Competitive Athletes?

In 2004, I weighed nearly 290 lbs and decided to get serious with weight loss. That has spun into not only a big drop in weight but also lead to a new passion of mine which is competitive martial arts (contact sport). I am now at a junction of my life where I want to take my competitive athletic drive and body to a new level. My weight currently is between 190 and 205 and I am between 5'7 and 5'8. What type of results could I see with a tummy tuck? When should I do it? Is it right for me?

Tummy Tuck in Athletes?

+3

The answer depends on the extent of excess skin, excess soft tissues and laxity of the abdominal muscles.

It you have any of the above conditions, Tummy tuck will give you the best contour and shape.  However, you can't do abdominal exercises if your muscles are sutured together as part of Tummy tuck.

Consultation by a board certified Plastic Surgeons can give you the ultimate answer.

Good Luck.

Tummy tuck

+2

If you are mentally ready, then there is no right or wrong time.  You should have it when you have 6 weeks to spare from physical activity.   This period is needed for optimal healing.  Nutritional supplement will help with the healing process.  Tummy tuck with liposuction can be used to achieve sculpted look to enhance your physique.  If you have lost a lot of weight and have significnat skin laxity, then an extended tummy tuck will remove excess tissue of waist too.  A lower body lift is also an option in cases of severe lower body laxity.

Tummy tuck for atheltes

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss and life change!  As you have found, the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to make a definitive change in your life with a rigorous diet and exercise regimen--more people need to do what you did!  To answer your question, tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty is ideal for people with skin excess (which is probably what you are suffering from).  It is not used to lose weight, but rather to restore your natural body shape.  The best way to get more information and see if abdominoplasty is right for you is to find a local board-certified plastic surgeon and go in for a consultation.  Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Tummy tuck for competitive martial arts participant.

+1

For a male, ideal body weight at 5'8" is approximately 154 pounds.  If you are close and your weight is stable a tummy tuck could provide you with an enhanced body image that should not interfere with your results.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Tummy tucks can be performed on competitive athletes.

+1

Tummy tucks can be performed on competitive athletes as long as you can avoid strenuous exercise for about 6 weeks.  This needs to be planned into your scheduled events for the year.  You will then also want some more time to get back into good cardiovascular conditioning before competing.

You want to be near your goal ideal weight.  That is an individual decision and height and weight are only part of the deciding factors.  You also have to take into consideration your build, your muscle mass etc.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for competitive athlete

+1

I am assuming that you are a male and thus do not have issue relted to pregnancy. You might do well with a skin and fat only tummy tuck without any tightening of the muscles. This would hasten your recovery and not create any issues with damage or inury to your muscles.

Tummy Tuck in Competitive Athletes

+1

Regarding - "What type of results could I see with a tummy tuck? When should I do it? Is it right for me?"

I applaud your drive and success but without an examination much less a photograph it is impossible to comment on your potential suitability for a Tummy Tuck procedure. (If you are a fan of CAR TALK on NPR, imagine the grief you would get from the brothers if you could not even represent your car problem...)

In general terms, like most people who lost a lot of weight, you are now another person trapped in the over sized, loose skin of your former self. In exchange for the "hemming" scars, all this skin CAN be removed giving you the body you worked so hard to get.

I refer you to a comprehensive illustration of BODY CONTOURING AFTER WEIGHT LOSS on my website.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Ideal tummy tuck weight

+1

There is no "right" answer to your question but I'd point put that you are very motivated and you can use your motivation to get the best possible result. Clearly you will not get the best result if you do the tummy tuck before you are at an ideal or goal weight. A very good standard to use is your body mass index. Right now your BMI is 30.9. I usually recommend that my patients strive for a BMI of 25 or less before undergoing body contouring surgery.

IF there is extra skin it can be removed

+1

If you are very active and athletic, you will just need to take some time off after surgery. As long as you are a good candidate for the surgery, being athletic should not be an impediment.