Is Tummy Tuck Cheaper Without Muscle Tightening?

can a tummy tuck be done with out tightening the muscles? if so is it cheaper

Tummy tuck without muscle tightening?

+1

Yes, one could do that and it may be cheaper as there is less time spent int he O.R.  I think that if one is going to be open, get the proper procedure.  It the muscles need repair, repair them. 

There are min-tummy tucks, (that do not move the belly button, or fix the muscles).  There are panniculectomies, (that take off the extra skin and soft tissue). 

Best to talk with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He will examine you and together you can come up with the plan that suits you.

Tummy tucks without muscle tightening are rare

+1

In virtually all female cases, a muscle repair maximizes the result from a tummy tuck.  If this is a weight loss case rather than a postpregnancy case, it might be that the muscle repair could be eliminated but why not get the very best?  I would personally charge the patient the same either way since it only takes a couple of minutes to do the muscle component and I wouldn't want them to choose the wrong procedure becasue of a price difference.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

+1

It is probably cheaper to do a tummy tuck without muscle tightening, as in the newer lipoabdominoplasty operation.

But why would you possibly skimp on your surgery when you are open anyway?

I advise my patients to choose the best solution, not the cheapest.

Long after you have forgotten whether your tummy tuck cost 1000 more or less, you will look down and see the bulge in your abdomen that could have been fixed.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tighten it up!

+1

Please do not base your decision to proceed with an abdominoplasty based on price.  Doing anything short of what is needed often leads to intense displeasure with the results.  There are rare occasions that a skin only abdominoplasty can be done.  The majority of require muscle tightening to correct the abdominal contour.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tuck Without Muscle Repair

+1

In answer to your questions, tummy tuck can be done without muscle repair, in fact I often do NOT perform muscle repair in male tummy tuck patients.  However, most women who have been pregnant are going to have muscle separation, and therfore require muscle repair for the best results.

Although my fee is the same with or without the repair, the hospital and anesthesia fees could concievably be less if the surgery took less time.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck cheaper without muscle tightening

+1

It depends upon the surgeon. In most instances NO! But rarely there is a minimal cost savings due to less sutures used. Discuss with your surgeon of choice.

From MIAMI Dr. B 

Tummy tuck without muscle repair is Panniculectomy

+1

Most patients who undergo a tummy tuck do it not only for the excess skin but more importantly for the weakness of the abdominal muscles from having children.  Altho it may save you some money by not doing the muscle repair it will give you nowher close to as good of a result as the muscle repair will.  If you have a great deal of weight loss then you may just need a panniculectomy to remove then excess skin, but this is a different procedure.  Without the muscle repair you will save some money but shortchange yourself in a far greater way by the result not being as good.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Muscle Tightening in Tummy Tuck

+1

Although I agree that muscle repair is usually indicated in a TT, you can never say always or never in medicine.  I have very rarely performed a "full tummy tuck" without muscle repair.  There was, however, no difference in the fee since the muscle repair accounts for a short portion timewise of the procedure.

John Whitt, MD

This is an individual issue

+1

I do not charge more or less for abdominal tightening. When I am there, I do what needs to be done. You are paying me for my experience and judgement - I dont count stitches or staples.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck without muscle tightening

+1

In 18 years of practice, I've done only two tummy tucks without muscle tightening. These patients are more the exception than the rule. If you think you need a tummy tuck than you need the rectus muscles tightened to give you the best results. Saving $1500-2000 and ending up not happy with the results is a poor choice, especially if you will need another operation to repair the muscle laxity. If you want loose or hanging skin apron removed only, that is a panniculectomy. I do not do this operation in my practice. Usually general surgeons can do this for you.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon