Tummy Tuck 8 Weeks Ago. Aftercare Advice? (photo)

I did a tummy tuck 8 weeks ago. The middle section still Very hard and red. Have a very deep scab. Belly button still not completey healed. The doctor says not to worry but keeps giving me antibiotics and creams which dont seem to be helping. what should I do?

Aftercare advice 8 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos with us Lynn.     I am worried that after 8 weeks, this is more than a superficial problem.  It may be necessary for your surgeon to remove the necrotic skin and probable underlying fat necrosis.

Once the unhealthy tissue is removed, you should see quick resolution of your wound.  It may speed up with the use of a wound vac or more aggressive wound care.    

Regardless, once you have a closed wound, your plastic surgeon can assess for a revision procedure to obtain optimal shape and contour 6-12 months down the road.  

I wish you a safe recovery. 

Dr. Gill

Tummy Tuck After Care

+1

i recommend that you get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. It looks like you are having complications from the tummy tuck that may require further surgery.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Correcting skin loss after tummy tuck.

+1

Your photos shows areas of dead skin which should be removed and these areas then need to be kept clean with dressing changes and allowed to heal, which they will do over time.  While the tissues can feel firm during this healing period, eventually they will soften, but patience will be needed.  Good luck.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Skin loss after TT

+1

Lynn:

Thank you for your question and for the attached photo.

What you are looking at is some dead skin and presumably underlying fat along the cneter of the incision and then above that off to the right. The navel actually looks OK in this photo. 

I would suggest having your surgeon remove the dead blackened skin, which can be done in the office--it won't hurt--it is most certainly without sensation. After that appropriate wound care can be initiated, and this should begin to heal promptly. I agree with your impression that antibiotics and salves won't do much more for you. If you are a smoker, stop now. That is the most common cause of skin loss in lift procedures.

Hello

+1

Sorry to hear you’re having complications after surgery. The good news is that it will heal, time and the right treatment will get your there. It looks like you have necrotic tissue which is dead skin. It happens after tummy tucks sometimes. The area looks like it needs to be debrided (removing the dark skin) leaving you a wound that can be taken care of with a wet to dry treatment or a wound vac. You need to see your PS so he is able to treat you as needed. Without an exam we cannot be more accurate. Good luck

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS