Am I Ready for a Tummy Tuck?

In the last three years, I have a total of 160 lbs. I'm 5'11 and right now at 230 lbs; I carry it all in my midsection. Instead of me feeling happy or that I've kept it off and had a baby during this time, I feel like I haven't lost a thing. Since my son was born this year, I've been on a strict diet and exercise program of an hour of cardio daily. But the scale is not moving at all. I really want a Tummy Tuck; do you think I'm a candidate and I'm ready for it? Please help!

Still not close to your goal

+2

According to rough guidelines and estimates, your ideal body weight is 160 pounds.

At 230, you are still 70 pounds overweight. Even if you were to be considered an ectomorph (large body frame your weight would maximally be 184).

Consider seeking an evaluation by a dietician or nutritionist as well as a personal trainer. In the end, it will be the best thing you can do for your overall health.

At your current body weight, you are not likely to achieve the results you desire and you are placing yourself at increased perioperative morbidity and mortality.

IF you are considering surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to review your goals.

Tummy Tuck candidate

+2

First, congratulations on your weight loss, and second on being able to keep it off!

A patient is a candidate, if their health is good and when they are at the weight that works for their lifestyle. If you truly believe that you will lose more weight, yes do that first. When it is not a reality your can move forward with surgery.

A limitation my be your young son. The permission to lift him may be 4-6 weeks after surgery.

The best suggestion is to meet a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation and find out information specific to you.

Good Luck!

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)