Tummy Tuck an Option After Gallbladder Surgery, Hysterectomy

I'm a 51 year old African American woman in pretty good health, nothing major. I had hysterectomy 20 years ago. I now have a very noticable sag in my stomach from where the muscle were cut. I have tried excercise to tighten the muscles, to no avail. I've had gallbladder remove surgery about 16 years ago. Would a Tummy Tuck be advisable for me? I really hate the way my stomach hangs down.

Possibly a mini-tummy tuck with muscle tightening

+2

Although you will obviously need a full exam by a board-certified plastic surgeon, it is quite possbile that muscle weakness as well as excess skin might be the culprit, and a mini-tummy tuck might be very beneficial if your upper abdomen is of less concern. If the muscle weakness and bulging are located above the belly button, a full or modified tummy tuck would be in order.

Tummy Tuck after gall bladder surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said modification of tummy tuck technique is required often requiring a vertical incision.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck with previous cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)

+1

A tummy tuck may be an excellent option but this may be effected by your gallbladder incision and a modified technique may be required. Discuss this with a board certified surgeon.

Choosing the right tummy tuck for you

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. As no two patients are alike, in our practice, no to tummy tucks are the same. We evaluate every patient individually to determine what component of the abdomen needs to be addressed. If they do not require tightening of the muscles and have good quality skin they may be a candidate for liposuction alone. If they do require muscle tightening and they have extra fat and skin in the central abdomen, they may benefit from a mini tummy tuck. If they have these symptoms but also have fat and tissue in their hips and waist, they may benefit from a regular tummy tuck. Your best bet is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in abdominoplasty and liposuction techniques. Such an expert will be able to assess the different components of your abdominal wall and determine which combination of procedures will help you meet your personal aesthetic goals.
In our practice, tummy sucks are commonly done very successfully in African-American patients. Be sure that you review your aesthetic concerns with your surgeon and talk at length as to which features you would like to preserve and what areas of your abdomen and hits you would like to compliment.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy Tuck seems right for you

+1

Although no brief description can do justice to your own concerns regarding your tummy, it sounds as if you may be a great candidate for the procedure. However, I am not sure what kind of scars you have on your abdomen and this can be a concern if you have too many scars on your abdomen.

Robert M. Freund, MD

You sound like a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there,

It is very common for women to have a drooping pouch of skin and fatty tissue above a hysterectomy or c-section scar. Combined with the round shape of the abdomen that often results from pregnancy and the inevitable decline in metabolism, this produces an abdominal contour that most women would be unhappy with. No manner or amount of exercise will effectively deal with these changes, as they are fundamentally due to changes in your anatomy, not to changes in your weight or the amount of tissue present (in other words, even if you lost weight, you would probably still have the abdominal shape you have now).

A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is very effective in managing these issues.

I would locate a surgeon Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and schedule a consultation. I think you'll be happy with what they can offer you.

Good luck on your road to the body contour you dream of!

Armando Soto, MD

Tummy tuck improves hanging skin and muscle weakness

+1

If you want improvment from the loose hanging skin and the muscle weakness, then a tummy tuck may be the right thing for you. Of course you would need a proper evaluation first.