Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

I am wondering about having a tummy tuck at the same time as my breast reduction. I am curious as to the cost but really want to know if I would be a good candidate for muscle tightening and skin removal.

Candidate for a tummy tuck

+2

Provided you are medically cleared, you could expect to remove the hanging skin and have a much nicer figure. There appears to be a large amount of tissue hanging down in the pubic area.

You cannot of course expect to have a flat abdomen, even with a tummy tuck, because of the fat inside the abdomen. Any weight loss that occurs before surgery will enhance the results that much more as the fat inside the abdomen melts away. Fat inside the abdomen is a health hazard, so it is worth losing the weight if at all possible.

Good candidate?

+1

Thank you for your question and photo!  Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure.  Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue and stretch marks of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly.  

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results.  Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.  Also, I would recommend performing this procedure after you have completed child bearing, as your appearance may return with each pregnancy.  

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening along with some liposuction to the hips/flanks for additional contouring.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and then likely return once you have achieved your ideal weight  in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you.  Good luck with your decision!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction During Same Surgery

+1

Yes, from your photo and description it would appear that you are good candidate for a tummy tuck which would muscle tightening and skin removal. Combining procedures like a Breast Reduction makes sense as long as the procedure is not longer than 4-6 hours (Typically for me  with the use of a surgical assistant these combined surgeries it would take about 4 hours). Most patients prefer to recover only once and have the benefit of both surgeries.

Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and ask about specific risks and benefits of these combined surgeries.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

It used to be that a tuck was the only option for a woman with a buldging tummy. Then lipo came along, and we could do a smaller procedure with virtually no scarring. However, people who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what lipo can offer. Typical candidates for this surgery are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightned, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new positon.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast reduction and tummy tuck a great combination for Mommy Makeover

+1

Breast reduction and tummy tuck work well together, are a safe combination, and will give you a more balanced figure. The tummy tuck will remove the sagging skin of the lower abdomen from the umbilicus to the pubic area and some (but not all) of your stretch marks will be removed. Usually, the muscles of the abdominal wall have been stretched during pregnancy, and these can be tightened to provide a flatter appearance for the abdomen. However, don't expect a completely flat abdomen as you may have some fat internally that a tummy tuck can't correct. Liposuction helps contour the hips,waist and back areas, and the upper abdomen. Make sure your weight is the best you can make it before surgery to enhance the result of both procedures.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

The ideal tummy tuck candidate

+1

An ideal candidate is at or near ideal body weight, has loose skin, and has loose abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck takes care of both of those problems, as well as a bit of extra fat with liposuction that can be done at the same time. In your case, it appears that there is intra-abdominal fat (fat inside the abdomen, around the intestines), and that is not addressed with a tummy tuck. We can only fix what's outside the abdomen. Assuming you are medically safe for such a procedure, a tummy tuck is a reasonable option, so long as you have realistic expectations--you won't be flat after a tummy tuck, but you will have a much better contour overall!

Carmen Kavali, MD

A tummy tuck will give you a much flatter stomach

+1

It looks like your have been pregnant in the past and that has caused the stretch marks and likely significant muscle streatching internally. A tummy tuck would definately help restore your stomach to a much flatter appearance. It is hard to say for sure how much muscle weakness there is from just looking at a picture. During a face-to-face consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon he can advise you of the degree of expected results. While it is always helpful to loose weight first some people just cannot get there on their own. I think you can still have an excellent improvment as long as you have realistic expectations first.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Results of tummy tuck an muscle repair

+1

I concur with Dr. Rand's assessment. It appears as if you have alot of visceral or organ fat. This can be a genetic tendency for the "apple" body type or associated with other conditions such as PCOS. Generally, no matter how aggressive, one treats the muscle laxity, the full belly appearance may persist.

In terms of the tummy tuck, you will achieve reduction in the loose skin and a closer approxi\mtaion of the rectus muscles. However, it is best for you to be closer to your ideal body weight to assess the effect of your weight on the visceral fat component.

A good Tummy Tuck candidate has normal weight

+1

The best time to do any body contouring surgery is when you have achieved an acceptable weight. Not all people will be able to match their weight to the weight charts but if you have gotten to a reasonable weight that you can maintain then this is the best time to do these surgeries.

Your abdomen looks like you would have a nice improvement with a tummy tuck. The recovery can be more difficult and you will require more help. Only you can tell if you are at the weight that is most reasonable for you and that you can maintain. If you lose a significant amount of weight after the procedure you will lose some of the nice results.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a tummy tuck

+1

My only concern about your candidacy for a tummy tuck is that it looks like you have a lot of fat inside the abdomen.  If you could lose some weight, the final result would give you a nicer flatter belly.   

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS