Burning Pain on Incision After Tummy Tuck

I am 9 months post op from Tummy Tuck. All went well with surgery and recovery. Last month, I suddenly began to have searing, burning pain just under and in the middle of my scar. I have seen my surgeon twice about this. He said all looked good and felt fine, and that I possibly tore a stitch or 2. The pain is worse when I am standing (longer than a couple of minutes). The pain is almost non-existent when I'm laying down or sitting. I read about "nerve regeneration" pain, and it sounds similar. Doctor says no, would have started sooner. Please tell me what you think.

Tummy Tuck Pain

+3

Patients who undergo a tummy tuck will often have twinges of pain that is related to the nerves under the skin for up to one year after the surgery. Patients who have the underlying muscle tightened could develop muscle spasms or even a tear of the tissue with exertion but this is usually within the first several months after surgery. I recommend that a physician examine you to help determine the cause of your pain.

Scars take a while to mature

+3

First I recommend you do a sit up and make sure there's no pseudoherniation. You would see a bulge in the midline. This can cause pain. But scars can take up to 2 years to fully mature. Scar tissue is constantly going through a rebuilding mode until it has fully replaced the initial scar tissue with final collagen. Give it time but you may need some Lyrica to get through until it calms down.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon