Tummy Tuck Bump 1 Month Post Op? (photo)

I had my tummy tuck nearly four weeks ago and happy with the result, my stomach was really flat (pic 2) and now i have a buldge (pic 3) which is sticking out, its really getting my down and will it ever go away?! i still have my drains in as im still producing fluid but surley i should be swallon first then get a flat stomach? I am now back at work (today) but have been keeping it easy, i have been active but havnt over done it (except once) apart from that the healing has been fine.

Abdominal Bulge 1 Month Post Abdominoplasty

+2

Dear Jojo, I am sorry to hear you are going through this.  Your bulge may be swelling, but my best guess is that you have either a hematoma or a seroma.  Your one instance of overdoing things may have caused this swelling.  At any rate, you need to see your plastic surgeon.  Abdominal drainage at 1 month is very unusual.  This should also be brought to your plastic surgeon's attention.  With all the swelling you are experiencing, I hope you are still wearing a pressure garment. 

In answer to your question, will the swelling every go away, the answer is yes, but at this point, it may require more aggressive, non-surgical or even surgical intervention.  If your plastic surgeon determines that this is merely swelling, then you may want to consider ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles), and even DMSO. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Bump 1 Month Post Op?

+1

Thanks for the questions and posted photos. First let me say I have never seen you in person so my responses are based ONLY upon the posted photos and what you have written. It appears to me as if you ONLY had a "paddlectomy" not a full TT. Even your middle photos shows a hanging abdomen. So you need to discuss with the surgeon exactly what was done. 

Bulge one month after tummy tuck surgery

+1

I agree with my colleagues that you should be seeing your surgeon to see if you have a seroma or hematoma.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Seroma or hematoma is possible.

+1

Thank you for the photos.  The bulge that you are describing that has appeared now when it was not there the first week after surgery leads me to think that you may have a seroma or early pseudobursa.  That would be my first guess.  Swelling would be least likely as this would be most evident around that first week.  Your plastic surgeon will have to figure out why your drains are still putting out fluid as anything beyond 2 weeks is fairly rare.  Have your plastic surgeon take a look.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD