Liposuction for Bulge After Tummy Tuck?

I had Tummy Tuck 3 months ago, and I've been getting what I think is swelling for about a month now. It wasn't so bad for the first 8 weeks. I can gain and lose 3 pounds in a day, and have been holding excess pounds for no reason. I eat very well and get my cardio in. Should I have Liposuction under my belly button because it could be a fat pad from my upper abs that moved down? I am just wondering if this could be normal swelling and how long before I would know. Thank you.

Give Tummy Tuck bulge 6 months to see how it heals

+1

It is typical to have ongoing swelling of the lower abdomen even 3 months after tummy tuck. If you see your stomach flatter first thing in the morning that is a good sign it may be a temporary condition that just needs more time to heal. It is not possible for the upper abdomen fat to shift down to the lower abdomen so you don't need to worry about that. Hope this helps.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell

+1

It is really yet too early to tell. Swelling even up to one year can be seen after tummy tuck surgery. You look very thin so it is more likely swelling vs fat. Just be patient and return to see your surgeon in 3 more months.

Also is your incision as high up as it looks?

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon

+1

This is one situation that is hard to answer with out seeing and touching the area in question. There are a couple of possibilities. After three months the tissue has become pretty stable. One possibility is a fat pad that will respond to liposuction. Other issues are things such as fluid collections, skin laxity or less likely, hernia. With a brief exam it would be possible to make a diagnosis and give you a definite answer. Get back with your surgeon and see what can be done.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction may help

+1

From the photo it is difficult to tell what is the source of the bulging in the lower abdomen. It could be that the muscle repair has loosened some, that there is an area of fatty collection that would benefit from liposuction or fluid and/or blood collection that requires drainage. Seeing your surgeon is the best option as an exam is key in addressing your concern. Also reviewing your before and after photos would be helpful. At this point there is not much swelling to resolve any more. Also if you have gotten significant improvement and there are no issues such as I stated above, then consider having no further surgery as it does have risks involved with it. See your surgeon and go over your concerns. Good luck.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD