Abdominal Bulge After Tummy Tuck

I'm 3 1/2 months post Tummy Tuck. What is this bulge above and below my belly button? It looks like a hotdog when I contract or use my muscles and do crunches and twists. I will see my surgeon on tuesday but was hoping to try to get some insight as to why this is happenening. It's freaking me out and makes my belly button stick out. It doesn't hurt, but it's soft. Any thoughts? How should I push this to my doctor? She's great but kinda brushes the things I say.

Looks like you may have had a "mini-abdominoplasty"

+2

Did you have a "miniabdomioplasty" - if so this could well be diastasis of the rectus muscles, which was probably present before surgery.  Best to discuss frankly your concerns with your surgeon and determine what can be done to address the situation.

Abdominal bulge after a tt

+1

It is possible that you may eventually need some touch up liposuction but overall your result looks good.  You are still early in the healing period given more time these features may resolve.

Bulge of abdomen after tummy tuck

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what the bulge it.  Also what type of operation did you have?  A full tummy tuck or a mini-tummy tuck. Sometimes it is a bulge related to not repairing the diastasis, and sometimes in very thin patients it is the palpability of the repair itself.

Abdominal bulge after tummy tuck

+1

I would agree with Dr. Hankins.

If you had a full abdominopasty one of two situations could explain your findings:

1. The muscle diastasis was not repaired
  2. The muscle diastasis was repaired but somehow is no longer intact resulting in a recurrent diastasis

Never be afraid to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

According to your comment below, it appears that #2 is the situation.

Recurrent diastasis can occur and may not be anyone's particular fault.

In this instance the muscle can be repaired again through a limited upper umbilical incision and the pubis.