Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction for 21 Year Old Male

Hello Docs, 21 year old male here after 70lbs of weight loss. I don't consider my loose/excess skin to be too serious however I am troubled by my tummy area mostly and is definitely looking at a tummy tuck given my age. However, I also think I have Gynecomastia and my breast area have loose/excess skin too, hence also looking at breast reduction. I was wondering which procedure should i go for first and does a tummy tuck help with loose/excess skin at the breast area? Thanks!

Weight Loss and Plastic Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss!

It sounds like you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and gynecomastia and/or breast reduction surgery. I normally ask my patients which part of the body bothers them more to decide which procedure to do first.  Depending on your health, you may be able to do both procedures at the same time safely.

Please be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with these types of procedures.  Ask to talk to other patients and see lots of examples of their work.

You can have both tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

If you have a problem with loose abdominal skin and loose breast skin and excess breast tissue, I think you would be a good candidate for both a tummy tuck and excision of gynecomastia.  I think you can have both procedures at the same time.  Or you can have the tummy tuck first and the excision of gynecomastia later if the loose abdominal skin bother you more than the loose breast skin.

James Tang, MD

Gynecomastia and tummy tuck following massive weight loss

+1

For the most part, the tummy tuck will not likely impact the gynecomastia procedure . To some degree the tummy tuck is straightforward whereas it has been my experience that major weight loss gynecomastia corrections require a higher revision rate. Therefore I would do the gynecomastia first and tummy tuck second to allow another opportunity at the breast if a revision is warranted. However,. both could be completed at the same time.

Male tummy tuck and gynecomastia

+1

One doesn't help the other really so I'd recommend you do both at once.  You've lost the weight so go for it!

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Tummy tuck and breast reduction after massive weight loss

+1

I agree with my colleagues.  Congratulations on the weight loss!  That is fantastic.  The loose abdominal skin that is present will not likely change much without surgery; however, the tummy tuck is the best way to alleviate the loose skin and can be done with a low, well-concealed incision.  I cannot say for sure about the chest / breast area without seeing you but this is something I have a lot of experience with.  In many cases, even in patients with modest amounts of loose skin and fullness about the male breast, I approach this with liposuction of the chest wall followed by surgical excision of the breast tissue through a 3 mm incision at the nipple that dissappears.  This followed by garment compression and massage works well in most cases and I would say that could be done in the same surgery as the tummy tuck, in fact, it would be my recommendation to do in a single surgery.  In a small percentage of cases, I have to excise the loose skin of the chest as well, and if it is necessary, that can be done at the same time as the tummy tuck.  I would recommend seeking out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring following massive weight loss.  Good luck!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

Male surgery in breast and abdominal area after 70 pound weight loss!!

+1

Congratulations!!

Losing weight is great, but if the wt loss gets into the 40 lbs and higher range  skin tightening procedures are necessary.

For the abdominal area you will need an abdominoplasty. 

For the chest area you will need a breast reduction or gynecomastia surgery.  The most concerning to you will probably the chest area, as you would like to have as few as scars as possible  because you are a male.

Often times the procedures are combined.   In the long run this is less expensive.... there is  only one recovery time versus two recovery periods.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Tumm tuck and chest surgery

+1

It is really a matter of personal preference as to which one you want first, you may also want to consider both at the same time depending upon what you need done.

Weight loss surgery

+1

Many weight loss patients are troubled by skin excess in multiple areas.  I always educate my patients about how exactly each operation is done and what areas they will address.  A tummy tuck will have little to no effect on you breast skin excess.  As far as which procedure to do first, I tell patients to fix the area that bothers them the most first.  This makes for patients who are happier  and who are motivated. 

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Will Not Affect Loose Skin Around Breasts

+1

A tummy tuck will not likely have any effect on the loose skin that your describe around your breasts.  You must decide which of the two conditions is more bothersome to you.  It may be possible to combine the procedures.  Your plastic surgeon can discuss with you how much this would increase risks and if there is any financial incentive to combine the operations.

John Whitt, MD