Anxious of Risks - 1 Week Before Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction/Lift

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck and breast reduction/lift in 1 week. I am 5'3" 44 years old and weigh 180. My highest weight was 245. After losing weight my stomach hangs like a giant pouch in the front and my breasts sag a lot. I am  scared of the 5 hour and 45 minute procedure. Is this safe or to long. What are the risks? I'm losing sleep and really nervous. I also have bad veracious  veins. will this have any factor?

Anxious before surgery

+2

You need to make an appointment with your surgeon who should answer all your questions.  If you are concerned about the anesthetic, you should talk to the anesthesiologist.  It is important for you to feel like you are in good hands and have had all your concerns addressed.  5 1/2 hours of surgery is not that unusual but I only do a prolonged operation like that on patients who are in vigorously good health.  If that does not describe you, maybe staged procedures would be wise.  In any case, talk to your surgeon!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D>

Typical to have combined surgeries.

+2

Have you discussed the vericose veins with your surgeon?  It is not dangerous to have surgery for 5 hours and 45 minutes.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Anxious about surgery

+1

Your feelings are normal.This is not something you do everyday.Be sure the doctor is board certified and it is  being done in an accredited surgery center.Also inquire as to who will be doing the anesthesia.If you are otherwise in good health you should do fine.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Risks increase with combined procedures.

+1

Many women have combined operations on the abdomen and breasts. Having lost 65 pounds has obviously left you with redundant skin and likely poor elasticity to your tissues. If you have any intention of losing more weight, I highly recommend that you do this before having surgery. The risks of combined operations of the breast and abdomen with your Body Mass Index (BMI) include prolonged surgery time, higher risk of blood clots, risks of wound healing difficulty, and a prolonged recovery. If your surgery takes more than 5 hours, I recommend spending a night in the hospital. Your surgeon should review these risks and the expected recovery during the informed consent process. If you have concerns, it is important to voice them. Again, I do think you would be better served by continuing to lose weight prior to surgery - you will likely be happier with the results and less likely to need a revision operation down the road.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Anxious before surgery

+1

Quite honestly you are not an excellent candidate for a great result because your BMI puts you still in the "obese" category.  This is not the best time to have surgery.  Your best result would occur if you postponed the surgery until you have lost at least 40 more pounds.  Your gut instinct is telling you something here and you should listen.  

Sorry!

Blood Clotting Risks associated with Operations over 5 hours

+1

Regarding: "Anxious of Risks - 1 Week Before Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction/Lift
I am scheduled for a tummy tuck and breast reduction/lift in 1 week. I am 5'3" 44 years old and weigh 180. My highest weight was 245. After losing weight my stomach hangs like a giant pouch in the front and my breasts sag a lot. I am scared of the 5 hour and 45 minute procedure. Is this safe or to long. What are the risks? I'm losing sleep and really nervous. I also have bad veracious veins. will this have any factor
?"

You have a BMI is nearly 32 classifying you as obese. Having an operation over 5 hours, being an obese woman with varicose veins - all add up to the highest CAPRIANI Blood clotting risk group. You should discuss with your surgeon what plans he may have to treat you during and after surgery to lower your blood clotting risks. You may want to Google Capriani, DVT and PE. Remember, it is normal to be anxious before surgery but educate yourself on what you can do to lower your risks.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Heavier framed abdominoplasties

+1

Your risks of wound issues are greater depending on your body mass index.  Yours is just under 32 which means that the chance of you having a wound breakdown are on the order of one in three.  This number isn't arbitrary, it's based on studies made in patients your height and weight who have undergone your same surgery.  Complication rates can vary from one surgeon to another and this is based on a single study which can be used simply as information to then be taken into account to modify the technique used on you in order to avoid problems.  That being said, the less tension that were to be placed on the pull of your skin may be noticeable as loose skin after surgery.  These are the most likely issues that you may potentially have to contend with.  Best wishes,

Web reference: http://www.doctormeade.com/plastic-surgery-procedures/tummy-tuck/

Risks of surgery

+1

All these questions shoul dhave been discussed with your surgeon before hand and you still have time to review them.

Breast Reduction/lift and Tummy tuck

+1

These procedures can be combined but the length of time for me is about 4hours. I usually can do this amount as an outpatient. Normally, the pain is more from the tummy tuck because of tightening of the muscles. The recovery time though is usually about two weeks and you should be able to even drive the car within a week. Watch my videos. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.