Tummy Tuck with Breast Reduction (Possible Implants for Perkiness). Is It Common to Have Implants After Reduction? (photo)

I am considering a reduction (i'm a DDD / E now.. see photos) and also due to weight loss have significant saggy skin. I'm less than 10 lbs from goal weight and want to have either a tummy tuck or lower body lift. I've heard that if you do both at the same time, the scars can be eliminated or reduced because the breast work can be done from tummy tuck incision. Is this true? Is it recommended? Is it common to have implants after reduction?

Tummy Tuck with Breast Reduction (Possible Implants for Perkiness). Is It Common to Have Implants After Reduction?

+2

Typically implants are not needed with a breast reduction. Your photos indicate that you have ample breast tissue and placing this and anchoring higher on the chest wall will give upper volume that can resemble an implant. The real problem is settling and gravity as that will effect the long-term results.

Breast reduction may be done from and upper tummy tuck approach, but I favor the two separate areas be addressed separately during the same surgery for the optimal outcome.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and tummy tuck

+2

It looks like you have had massive weight loss.  A breast reduction can only be done by excising skin and gland directly on the chest. Certainly both can be done at the same time.

Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck Okay

+2

Thank you for your pictures.  It is reasonable to have both a tummy tuck and a breast reduction at the same time.  In my experience a woman that is a DDD and has a reduction has enough breast tissue for great shape without implants.  The incisions for a breast reduction are not reduced when a tummy tuck is performed at the same time.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+2

There are NO short cuts to MM surgeries. You will need at least 2 operations. Not you cannot do BR via the TT incision. And NO adding implants are not the norm after a reduction. 

Breast lift without the use of implants

+2

If you are happy with your breast size then there is no need for a breast implant.  Your existing breast tissue can be used to build a new breast with elevation of the height of the nipples, and tissue augmentation to the upper pole and central breast.

Implants with Reduction

+2

Breast reduction and tummy tuck each require their own incisions. There is no need to use implants with a reduction. The reduction is to remove tissue, whereas implants add volume. The reduction itself with repositioning of the tissue provides perkiness so imants are not necessary.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Wise lift results in saggy breasts not perky

+1

You do not need implants to create perkiness after breast reduction.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the Wise pattern, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle to relieve pain.  You want to avoid the Wise procedure and an implant since the breasts will sag and will need revision.  You are a candidate for a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  Mesh provides an hourglass figure, creates early satiety resulting in weight loss and maintains the reduced weight.  These two procedures can be done simultaneously.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implants are not indicated with breast reduction surgery.

+1

Your photos suggest that either a breast lift or a breast reduction would be your operations of choice. Breast implant surgery not reduction or lift can be performed through the Tummy Tuck incision. However, you do not appear to need an implant.

David A. Ross, MD

You need to consider carefully, too much surgery at one time, with different objectives

+1

Breast Augmentation or implants can be done sometimes through the tummy tuck incision, but at an increased infection rate, and malposition rate.

A breast reduction involves removal of skin, so if you have saggy skin, the breast reduction requires its own incisions to remove that skin and therefore no advantage of the tummy tuck.

Careful consideration must be made for combining a tummy tuck and breast reduction.It has a higher rate of DVT (blood clots). It is a lot of surgery. It has more recovery than either one alone, frequently with a long recovery, possible hospital stay which can cost more money rather than less. Most patients have told me (frequently done by other surgeons) if they knew what they were getting into, they would never have done both together. Instead of two weeks recovery for each, it took 6 weeks for both. You are more likely to need a blood transfusion. I would think long and hard about doing both together.

Implants at the same time, may give some superior fullness. But only if you want larger breasts, not when you want a reduction because you are too large. It takes a larger implant to fill the superior pole anyway. True a few people later may do implants for superior fullness, but I would not recommend a breast reduction and implants.

Benjamin Van Raalte, MD
Davenport Plastic Surgeon

Contouring after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  As for surgery for your concerns, consider a Rubin mastopexy (see it on youtube.com) to achieve perkier, fuller breasts without implants.  And it can be done at the same time as tummy contouring though it may be safer to do them separately, depending on what technique is used for your tummy and how long it takes your surgeon to do the procedures.

Curtis Wong, MD