Breast Implants at Same Time As Tummy Tuck and Lift?

My doctor will not do implants at the same time as my tummy tuck and breast lift. Can anyone explain why?

Lift and implants

+2

Some surgeons feel that doing a lift and augmentation at the same time is too risky and the results can be hard to predict.  I find that in my hands, aumentation and lift is predictiable with a very nice result.  The tummy tuck can also easily be done at the same time.

Please follow your doctor,s advise

+2

The combination of the lift and augmentation is a risky surgery. I do not recommend to combine these proceduers because of the high risk of complications and need for more surgeries later. Breast lift tighten and lifts the breast and implants expand and fill the breasts. If your doctor does not recommend the combine procedure,please listen to him and do the stage procedure. You will be happy in long run...

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants with Lift and Tummy Tuck

+2

It is nice to have all these surgeries done at the same time, but in reality, it is not always possible.  In some women, the lift that is required can be quite extensive.  In these cases, it can be very difficult to achieve a good lift if you are trying to place an implant underneath at the same time.  Augmentation and mastopexy are two diametrically opposed surgeries - the lift is designed to make things tighter and higher, while the implants are trying to make things bigger and fill things out.  With a large lift, often times it is better to do the lift and wait 3-6 months.  At that point, when everything has healed well and is in a good, higher position, placing implants is a much easier surgery and has a more predictable outcome.  I would talk with your surgeon and ask them there reasoning for waiting.  Know that this is not uncommon though - there are alot of surgeons who will not do a lift and an augmentation at the same time, no matter what the circumstance is.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants at same time as tummy tuck and lift?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that s/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

The issue is more for the lift and implant combined. If there is any fear for the viability of the nipple areolar complex when combining with the placement if the implant, your surgeon may discourage you from performing these together.  Performing a breast lift puts stress on the vascular it's of the breast and nipple already. Adding an implant beneath could further devascularize the areas and potentially cause complications and necrosis of the areas. 

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast implants/Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck Often Performed Together.

+1
Different surgeons will recommend different procedures including doing more than one at a time. Some surgeons also differ in ability, time it takes to do the same procedure and general. It makes this a difficult choice for patients. Based on my own experience I would do all at once as long as it takes 4 or less hours. Surgeons should never perform elective operations that they are uncomfortable performing or feel unwise for them, nor should they be faulted for doing so. However,  for me, I typically perform a tummy tuck and breast augmentation and lift (mastopexy) at the same time and usually takes about 3-4  hours so I recommend this be done in one surgery and this is what many refer to a Mommy Makeover.

Not only that,if you did not need a breast lift,  I usually place breast implants through the Tummy Tuck incision but I prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1

This may be a practice that he/she is unwilling to perform on anyone due concerns of prolonged surgery or maybe unique to your situation given your specific medical condition and history.

Combinintg aug with lift

+1

Some surgeons prefer to do a lift or an aug first and not combine the two. It is personal preference.  I usually do them together.

Breast Implants at time of lift

+1

Some surgeons are not comfortable with the subtleties of placing implants at the time of a breast lift.

This is not to say the operation is not safe to perform, however... only that some are not comfortable with the reliability of the outcomes when they do it.

There is also a benefit to only having one operation....

If you are not sure about the surgeon's recommendation, it would not be unreasonable to see another surgeon for an opinion. Be sure you see one certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Combined breast implants and lifts

+1

I almost always do implants and lifts together if I feel it would be safe.  This also includes combining these with a tummy tuck.  The only two times I separate a lift from the implants are :

1. when the patient has enough tissue to sculpt with the lift that there is a possibility they won't need implants at all and they want to try to get by without them

2. they want such a large implant that the stretching it causes is too much for the tightening of the lift to handle and may lead to increases complications that could be quite devastating.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

With an experienced surgeon, this combination of breast lift, breast augmentation and tummy tuck is a safe operation

+1

The tow most important factors in determining if you can have a breast lift in conjunction with a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck is the experience of your surgeon and your general health. This is a combination I routinely perform and is usually combined with liposuction or the hips and abdomen and occasionally with liposuction of the lateral and medial thighs. Talk with your surgeon and make sure that this is a common combination of procedures for them.

Don't  you be your surgeons first experience. Ask for photos of the results of the combined procedures. Have multiple consultations. accept the fact that if your surgeon doesn't feel comfortable with these combinations then either elect to have separate operations or find another surgeon who does feel comfortable with the combined procedures. Doing all this surgery together can save you money, pain and suffering and recovery time but it is not worth the risks if your surgeon hasn't had a wealth of experience with this approach. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD