How Soon Will I Be Able to Tend to my Children After a Mommy Makeover?

I am a mother of three beautiful children. They are in their teens and I have thought about giving my body a tune-up. After researching for months, I have decided to have a mommy make-over (Tummy Tuck and Breast Enlargement). How quickly will I be able to tend to my kids needs while recovering? Please advise. Thanks

Recovery after multiple procedures

+2

Depending on the severity and complexity of your case, recovery time could vary. Most patients feel okay after 2 weeks but are not at their optimal health and it would be safest for you take it easy. I would recommend allowing close to 1 month of recovery before tending back to your children. You need a good support system to assist you during your healing. Your body has limitations so you can not provide complete care to your children. Driving is allowed usually 2 weeks post-op as long as you are off all narcotics and you can respond to emergency and operate a vehicle. Do not push yourself. It is best that you refrain from any heavy-lifting and strenuous exercise the first month to avoid any complications. Sacrifice the first month after surgery and you can enjoy your results for a long time. Good luck.  

The recovery is certainly worth the results!

+2

The initial recovery for a breast augmentation with a lift and a tummy tuck is about two weeks until you are back doing some activities such as driving, getting around pretty good and even back to work if you do office type work. You can get back to exercise and all activities 6 weeks from the time of surgery. You must keep in mind that you will have a tendency to tire easily and make allowances for this when scheduling your recuperation period.

William Aiello, MD

The abdominoplasty is the rate limiting step in a Mommy Makeover

+2

While both procedures are uncomfortable, I agree that the procedure which would delay your resumption of activities, driving, housekeeping and tending to active teens, would be the tummy tuck.  You'd be surprised how much you depend on your "core" muscles for so many activities.  So apart from discomfort, for which you may require pain meds, premature activity may also be associated with the development of a seroma (collection of fluid, under the abdominal flap) and delayed wound healing. Ask your PS frankly how much time s/he recommends you budget for optimal convalescence then deputize your friends and family to drive, cook, etc., while you recover.  Believe me, it'll really be worth it!

Lavinia Chong, MD

Recovery After Mommy Makeover

+2

The recovery after a mommy makeover (breast augmentation and abdominoplasty) is usually related tto the more difficult recovery of the two procedures, the abdominoplasty.  I ususally tell my patients to plan to be away from normal, routine, non-strenuous activites for 2 weeks, including driving.  After that time, you shoould feel comfortable enough to drive and return to work if it is nonstreunous.  Strenuoius activity which includes running, working out, etc.  is restricted for a totla of 6 weeks post op too make sure everything is OK.  If your breasts require more than an augmentation (such as a breast lift), you r surgeon may not wan t to combine these two procedures depending on their extent.  Your recovery may then be longer if the 2 procedures need to be done separately for safety reasons.

Scott Greenberg, MD

Childcare after mommy makeover

+1

Mommy makeover recovery time will depends on 1) your pain threshold, 2) overall physical and mental health, and 3) complexity of surgery.  No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  You should feel pretty good in 7-10days.  I'd plan ahead and get some help for your childcare.  Please remember to ambulate every couple hours to prevent DVT.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

When can Mommy get back to work after her makeover?

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures. Your surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam. In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted. After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours. All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck). Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks. So you will definitely need some help with the kids for about 1-2 weeks. Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff. Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures. I'm sure you'll love your results.  Best of luck!

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Recovery time after Mommy Makeover.

+1

You should plan to not have much in the way of responsibilities for the first week. Second week will be much better, and depending on how you feel, you will be able to advance your activities. It usually takes two weeks before you are able to drive and six weeks before you will be able to do unrestricted activities. Your level of physical fitness will also have an impact on your recovery. The better shape you are in the faster you will bounce back.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Recovery time for mommy makeover

+1

If your children are young i.e., less than two years of age and need to be lifted, I would suggest help around the house for nearly 2 weeks. Lifting is restricted during this period. Most women get back to normal activities of daily living and the ability to drive off of apin medications at two weeks. However, recovery does vary tremendously among patients.

Recovery Period from a Mommy Make-Over

+1

Regarding:  "How Soon Will I Be Able to Tend to my Children After a Mommy Makeover?
"

Every one recovers at different rates. Women who had more than one child generally recover faster than those who had one child who in turn recover quicker from Cosmetic Surgery than women who never had any children. Lastly, ail the way at the bottom of the bounce-back list are men who usually appear to recover less quickly than women for a variety of physiologic and psychological reasons.

The VAST majority of women having a Tummy Tuck (with or without Liposuction) and a Breast Augmentation (without or with a Breast Lift) are ready to resume normal activities (driving, office work but NOT going to the gym) in 2 weeks or sooner.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Recovery from mommy makeover takes several weeks

+1

For your comfort, safety, and a problem free recovery you should figure on at least 2 weeks where you do only normal day to day activities around the house, but nothing strenuous.  The breast augmentations discomfort usually fades first and you can begin to advance your activities slowly after 2 weeks, with plans for normal activity by 4 weeks.  If only the skin is tightened with your tummy tuck, recovery can be 2-3 weeks as well, but if you require repair of the muscles or other additional procedures, return to normal activities would be out at 4-6 weeks.  See if your children or friends would be willing to help out with driving and busy teens schedules during this short period.  The assistance will really pay off in the long run.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD