Tummy Tuck vs. Body Lift

I am a 27 year old mother of 3. I'm 5'5" and 133 lbs. Have been planning my mommy makeover for a while now and have even had a couple of consults. I am having a breast lift and implants. I was also planning a tummy tuck and it was suggested to consider a medial thigh lift as this area drives me crazy. I don't have much fat on my body, just lots of stretch marks and some saggy skin. I am not at all excited about the scars in my groin, because I've heard that they always migrate down and show, so bathing suites would be an issue. I was looking at the pics of body lifts and wondering if this would be a better option? How well does the inner thigh area get lifted? Wouldn't mind a little boost in the booty anyway... I don't mind the scar from the body lift that goes all the way around, but I don't want to do this if the thigh results aren't substantial... Any suggestions?

Contouring options

+1

Its really difficult to tell what you need wihout photos and a  physical exam.  If you are considering a lower body lift - this procedure (LBL) is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Sugene Kim

Tummy Tuck vs Body Lift; Go conservative first

+1

I would not rush to jump into a body lift so soon.  Without an examination it's hard to tell, but a mommy makeover would seem very reasonable.  You will get a tremendous improvement just from that procedure alone.  Your breast will be improved, Your abdomen will be tightened and there will be some lift on your thighs.  If after having this procedure you feel that you need more lift in the flanks and buttocks, then you can have your posterior lifted.  Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Tummy Tuck v. Lower Body Lift

+1

Both a tummy tuck and a lower body lift give improvement in the thighs by pulling on adjacent areas.  I often will have patents wait until after the body lift or abdominoplasty before making a decision on thighs because considerable improvement is possible.  A body lift allows more thigh  improvement than the tummy tuck because a wider belt of skin can be removed on the sides giving better lateral pull.  The decision on which is best for you should be carefully considered with a surgeon with lots of experience in both procedures.  I generally reserve medial thigh lifts for people with extreme excess of skin.  There needs to be a good upside to trade for the scar.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Body Lifting

+1

This is difficult to answer without examining you to see how much of an improvement the inner thigh lift will provide.  I would highly suggest that you meet with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who work with weight loss patients (different skin elasticity issues, etc.).  Also, I do not recommend doing all of these procedures at the same time. You may want to consider doing the lower body lift and after things have healed, you can re-assess the inner thighs to see if they still bother you.

If you do decide to proceed with the inner thigh lifting surgery, you do have to be realistic in regards to trading off the loose skin for some scarring.

Best Wishes!

Body lift and inner thighs

+1

Lots of good advice has been given to you. In general I tell patients that are doing a lower body lift that in fact there is a 20-30% improvement in your inner thighs. The inner thighs are some what lifted. Of course individuals who have significant excess, need a medial thigh lift at some point. Significant past experience has thought all of us who do a lot of massive weight loss body contouring not to do a medial thigh lift at the same time that a lower body lift is being done. There are many reasons behind this including the fact that you might not need it after the body lift. So get good advice and see if you need a body lift. Once that is determined then address your thighs at 3-6 months after that. Good luck.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Lower body lift wont help your inner thighs

+1

A circumferential abdominoplasty (i.e. lower bodylift or belt lipectomy) is an excellent operation that is designed to address the laxity of the torso. The tightening effect will translate to the outer thigh somewhat, but there will be no effect on the inner thighs. You will need an inner thighlift.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

What is lifted by a body lift?

+1

Body lifts work well with tummy tucks.  The body lift and tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will together lift and tighten the abdomen, back, hips, buttock, posterior thigh, lateral thigh, and anterior thigh.  The medial thigh is least effected with the body lift and often requires its own operation.  For limited skin excess, the scar can be tucked high in the groin.  After massive weight loss patients will also need an incision (which leaves a scar) lengthwise along the inner thigh to achieve adequate inner thigh skin tightening.  From your question, I am unclear if you have lost a lot of weight or you just have a little skin excess.  When a groin incision is sufficient, the strong, deep layer under the inner thigh skin is secured to the dense, strong tissues high in the groin to limit the downward scar migration.  If migration occurs. revisions are possible.  You should discuss these concerns with your surgeon so you know exactly which operations will address your issues.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Body lift vs tummy tuck and inner thigh lift

+1

circumferential - all the way around the waist - body lift will result in an improvement in the lateral thighs and lift the buttock, however it will not improve or lift the inner thigh very much.  Performing an inner thigh lift at the same time with either a tummy tuck / abdominoplasty or circumferential body lift can result in a significant amount of post operative swelling in the pubic area.  You may want to consider doing the tummy tuck or body lift first and if you are pleased consider the inner thigh lift at a later date.  Good luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Inner thigh lift

+1

It is always possible that the inner thigh lift scars may migrate a bit .  Depending upon how bad the thighs look initially will determine the incision needed to be used and the quality of the result.

Inner Thigh Lift vs. Outer Thigh Lift: Two Areas needing two procedures

+1

Inner and outer thighs are common areas of sagging after weight loss and after weight loss after pregnancy. It sounds like you are in great shape and likely have just excess skin, so liposuction in either of these areas will not be effective. I approach these areas differently, but agree that both will need excisional techniques to provide the shape you want. Unfortunately, with excisional procedures come scars, and accuracy of scar placement is key. A lower body lift combines a tummy tuck with an outer thigh lift and buttock lift. The scar is circumferential around your trunk and can be place low enough to hide in most clothing. It is a powerful procedure, that can be combined with your breast surgery, though make sure you are being treated by an experienced plastic surgeon for this "mommy makeover 401". Inner thigh lifts do effectively remove inner thigh, but scar placement is dependent the distribution of the excess skin. Only upper inner thigh skin should be treated with a scar in your groin, if the skin extends beyond your mid inner thigh you may want to consider a vertical type incision which will circumerentialy shape your thighs with a more reliable, but more visible scar.

If you are concerned about concealing scars, think twice about the inner thigh lift and discuss the options with your plastic surgeon. A body lift  will provide minimal to no effect on your inner thighs.

I hope this helps and there are numerous examples in my gallery and website. Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD