Tummy Tuck/body Lift After Recent Open Gallbladder Removal Surgery; How Long Should I Wait?

I have been researching local surgeons & was getting up the nerve for intial consults for a tummy tuck or body lift when my gallbladder decided to go bad. 3 weeks ago, I had an open gallbladder removal & a small hernia repaired just to the bottom of my belly button thanks to a larger strangulated hernia & bowel obstruction surgery 6 years ago. How long should I give myself to heal before even contemplating consultations again? Thank you!!

+1
 Tummy tuck surgery in your case can be potentially dangerous if there is a long transverse scar present after your gallbladder surgery (open).   If the gallbladder surgery was done via a  laparoscopic approach, these him blood flow concerns will not be an issue. If the longer scar is present,  potential problems with  blood supply to the abdominal wall flap raised during tummy tuck surgery should be considered. A limited undermining tummy tuck operation ( with the standard transverse incision) will be your best bet.  you may wish to those abdominal wall foregrounds with the next question for more precise responses. When the time is right, seek consultation with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience ( and safety record) is achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Upper abdomen scars and tummy tuck

+1

One of the complications with open gall bladder surgery is that the incision decreases the blodd supply to the skin below.  The blood supply after the tummy tuck is dependent on that and some of that skin may die.  Waiting allows the circulation to re-establish itself.  I am not really concerned about the hernia surgery as much as the gall bladder.  You need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  There is another alternative.  The abdominoplasty can be done through the high incision excising the gall bladder scar.  However, the scar is visible and this procedure is infrequently done.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Time to Wait for Consult after Open Gallbladder Removal

+1

The issue is not when the consultation should be obtained. The issue is the timing for surgery. You will need to wait several months to have surgery. I would suggest a consult sooner rather than later so that issues such as weight loss and other medical concerns may be addressed.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Tummy tuck after recent abdominal surgery should wait

+1

Open gallbladder surgery and hernia repair will take time to heal, and you should wait several months to let all fully recover. The type of gallbladder incision can also influence the delay.

Minimum recovery healed belly should be afteer 3 months

+1

yes you sureley may realize  your TT and lypo  after 3 months minimum and checking  again the hernia dissapering than it  will be   very important  for  succesful surgery

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

No single "right" answer...

+1

Since you had an "open" cholecystectomy, you really need to wait for the scar to mature and allow the mobility needed for your tummy tuck. While there is no right answer, I would plan to wait six months. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon