Bleeding Incision After Tummy Tuck

It's been about 10 days since my Tummy Tuck and I haven't had any issues that haven't been answered except that I was using a back brace since my back was hurting so bad and the doctor said it was okay.

However, today, I noticed a spot where the tape over my incision line was bleeding. Is this normal and am I doing too much?

Bleeding incision from irritating Tummy Tuck incision

+3

It sounds as if the irritation of the suture line caused the bleeding. As long as the wound has not opened or is demonstrating increased redness or swelling, I do not beleive there is cause for concern. Make your surgeon aware. Occasionally a light application of peroxide, if permitted, will cleanse the dried blood.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Small about of bleeding/oozing is okay

+3

Sometimes the small skin edges ooze or bleed when you remove the tape. It sounds like this might be what is happening. However, if you are concerned, you should see your doctor for an evaluation.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Minimal blood spotting at Tummy Tuck incision line

+3

Since you mentioned it is only a spot along the incision line that you noticed some bleeding, it is probably normal. However, be sure to be following your physician's instructions on your post surgical limitation with activity. It is common to feel better and start to do too much too soon but remember your body is still healing from surgery.

I instruct my patients not to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks following abdominoplasty surgery and not to resume sexual activity for 4 weeks.

If you notice signs of infection (fever, warmth to the area, increased redness, yellow or green drainage from the incision, etc) or the areas of bleeding increase, definitely call your physician.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Small amount of bleeding after Tummy Tuck normal

+2

It is not uncommon to have a small part of the incision open up a bit and bleed. Increased activity can be a factor in this as well. If it was a small amount of bleeding and the wound is intact, you should be fine. As usual, check in with your surgeon about this.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Seems that you're recovering well from Tummy Tuck

+2

Seems that you are having an excellent recovery so far. It is not uncommon to have a little bleeding from the wound. It is always prudent to check with your doctor to make sure that the wound integrity is intact.

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/tummy-tuck/

Significance a Bleeding under a Tummy Tuck SteriStrip 10 days after surgery

+1

Regarding: "Bleeding Incision After Tummy Tuck
However, today, I noticed a spot where the tape over my incision line was bleeding. Is this normal and am I doing too much?"

Surgeons tape skin to minimize the pull on the incision line. However, in my opinion, this often results in more problems than the limited benefits it provides. Traction on the wound results in the tape pulling on the skin causing blisters and minor bleeding. In some cases, especially in darker skinned individuals such areas can become hyper-pigmented.

I seriously doubt this is a complication but I would mention it to your surgeon and see if he wants to see you earlier than your scheduled appointment.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Incision bleeding after a tummy tuck

+1

There is a difference between bleeding and blood stained ster-strips. If it is just blood stained, this is more than likely normal.  If it is more than that, you should speak with your surgeon.

Bleeding incision after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Patients undergoing this procedure should understand that there is a significant recovery process. It is normal to have swelling, bruising, or a small amount of bleeding or drainage from the incision early in the healing process. If you have more than a few drops coming from the wound, make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to be evaluated as soon as possible. They will share your concern and want to see it to make sure that your healing without a problem.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/abdominoplasty_photos.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.