How Much Will a Tummy Tuck Benefit Me? (photo)

I have extensive stretchmarks and am considering a tummy tuck in the near future. What can I expect after the procedure as far as reduction of my stretch marks? I also have a lot of extra skin and want my stomach tighter. Is this a good procedure for me to get the results I want? I also want to lose about 25 lbs before the procedure and have been working out but cant seem to get it to improve any more.

Tummy Tuck Improves Stretch Marks, Shape of Abdomen

+1

Hi there-

You look like a great candidate for a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). The details of the procedure vary from patient to patient, and from surgeon to surgeon to some degree, and so I wouldn't want to speak for the surgeon you choose...

On the other hand, I think that as long as you find a skilled and talented surgeon, you should expect to have a flat tummy with elimination of at least all of the stretch marks below your belly button.

Choosing the best surgeon you can find is the key- this is not a time in your life where being penny wise and pound foolish would be an acceptable error...

Visit a few excellent surgeons for consultations. 

Also- I really don't see that you have more weight to lose--- I think what remains is just the body changes resulting from being a mother- and that after your tummy tuck you won't feel you need to lose any more weight.

Lose the skin & the stretchmarks with tummy tuck

+1

From the posted pictures, you appear to be a good candidate for tummy tuck.  You can expect to lose most of the stretch marks from your lower abdomen as the excess skin is removed.  It is recommended to be close to your goal weight prior to proceeding with surgery. 

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck has benefits

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. I think that you will see an amazing difference in your abdomen if
you choose to do a tummy-tuck. The tummy tuck will not only remove the skin, stretch marks, and fat
from your lower belly, but it will tighten the muscles and tighten the skin in the upper portion of your
abdomen as well. If you haven't already done so, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Will I be a good candidate for the tummy tuck?

+1

After reviewing your photograph I believe you would be a very good candidate for the tuummy tuck. You don't appear to be overweight , therefore, you do not need to lose any weight. In fact any weight loss will not have any advantageous effect on the outcome. If you are serioulsy bothered by the appearance of your abdomen, you should seek consultation by a Board Certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Am I A Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Dear heather80,

Your photos suggest that you may be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. The tummy tuck will tighten your belly by removing extra skin, tightening the underlying muscles, and removing a significant amount of the stretch marks.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Great candidate

+1

I think you will be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck to repair your diastasis, remove stretch marks and excess skin.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

You can have a great result with tummy tuck!

+1

A full tummy tuck with muscle plication, umbilical transposition, and excess skin removal will yield a fabulous result for you, with removal of most (75-80%) of your stretch marks--all those below the belly button, which appear to be the majority of them from your photograph.

The reason you can't seem to lose any more weight is because you don't need to! You have stretched abdominal wall tissues (diastasis recti) that exercise cannot improve, and stretch-marked loose skin that exercise cannot tighten. You already probably have "abs of steel;" they just happen to be enclosed in stretched abdominal wall fascia that only surgical tightening can repair! Losing more weight will neither tighten your abdominal wall or your skin--you need a tummy tuck for that. BTW, a mini will probably be insufficient with the degree of loose skin and abdominal wall stretch you show; you will have your best results with a full tummy tuck.

Have consultations with 2 or 3 ABPS-certified plastic surgeons, and select the one who has the best credentials, experience, and plenty of before and after photographs of his/her work. Look at incision/scar position, belly button scar and post-op appearance, and side views for degree of abdominal wall tightening. Then make your choice based on results, not cost. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based solely upon the posted photos I believe you could have either a full TT or a mini TT. But to lose 25 more pounds before the operation, the way you appear in the photos I do not think it will be of a benefit to the surgery. 

Tummy tuck for stretch marks

+1

You are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck to reduce stretch marks, loose skin, and corrrect the muscle laxity. The stretch marks removed are those at the level of the belly button and below.

Peter Johnson, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

You could lose maybe 75% of the stretch marks and tighten the skin and the muscles so from that standpoint you look like a typical TT candidate.  I don't see from your photos ahere you have 25 extra pounds to lose.  Your happiness with this depends on your expectations and on your scar tolernace.  Go to some excellent plastic surgeons for in person consultations.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS