Tummy Tuck Belly Button Technique? (photo)

Hello- I would like to know what is considered the best technique for the belly button in my case (round, oval, etc). Does that depend on the surgeons technique or the patient? I have seen many tummy tucks with belly buttons that are not appealing and look too obvious. Thank you.

Natural Looking Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+2
A full abdominoplasty requires the surgical creation of a new belly button. Creating the new belly button, which is called an umbilicoplasty, is a part of tummy tuck surgery that requires a great deal of attention and finesse on the part of the surgeon. My goal is to create a new belly button that, as much as possible, resembles a 'natural' belly button. Natural belly buttons do NOT look like a perfect circle, and circular umbilicoplasty scars are a tummy tuck dead giveaway.
The technique I use for umbilicoplasty is designed to create a slightly 'hooded' appearance to the upper half of the belly button, an appearance that is generally considered fit and athletic. Not all patients have the goal of wearing a two-piece swimsuit, but many do, and I want these patients to be able to do so without feeling self-conscious about the appearance of their new belly button.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck belly button technique

+1
Thank you for you picture and a very important and rarely asked question about the belly button technique. Each surgeon has their own technique. Most aesthetic technique in my opinion is a superior V flap inset. This will have a smaller vertical umbilicus with a very natural upper hood and inward scars that are not visible. It's best you see examples of your surgeons work to asses the same. Also significant time must be spent in the operating room to achieve this very relevant portion of the abdominoplasty as correction is a difficult task.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Belly button shape

+1

Every doctor has their way but also it can depend on the thickness of the abdominal wall flap as well.I think an inward pull superior is best.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

What is the best belly button shape for me? (photo)

+1

Studies have demonstrated that vertical or T shaped belly buttons have the most broad general appeal.  If you agree, ask your surgeon to do this, and be sure you like examples of his/her work before consenting to abdominoplasty.

Steve Laverson, MD

What is the best technique for the belly button after Tummy Tuck?

+1

This is a great question and is very important to ask your plastic surgeon before surgery. The reason is that large round belly buttons are a telltale sign of an abdominoplasty and are unattractive.

The best and most natural looking belly buttons have four distinct characteristics. They are usually small in size, vertically-shaped, have a circumferential scar that is located inward as much as possible, causing a central depression of surrounding skin. This can be re-created surgically when the surgeon understands the intricacies of aesthetic surgery.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

A belly buttion that is vertically oriented, taller and narrow is what is considered the most aesthetically pleasing.

+1

See the attached research article.  A belly buttion that is vertically oriented, taller and narrow is what is considered the most aesthetically pleasing.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Belly Button Technique?

+1

Thanks for the interesting question/concern. You should understand there are ALWAYS trade offs in doing surgery. To correct a flaccid hanging abdomen only incisions can correct but scars can occur, even around the "new" belly button. Best to see many of your chosen surgeon's photos than decide if the risk/reward to to your liking. 

Belly button

+1

An esthetic umbilicus should be devoid of visible scars, should restin a peri-umbilical depression, and have a small hood on top some women use to place a piece of jewelry.

We have worked on thi for some time and presented the worksix years ago. Rewcently another plastic surgeon published similar results and a british plasti surgeon had also presented similar technique and findings 3 years ago.

The problem is some surgeons are not listening and are satisfied with mediocre results

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Natural Tummy Tuck Belly Button Appearance

+1

The best and most natural looking tummy tuck belly buttons have four distinct characteristics. They are usually small in size, vertically-shaped, have a circumferential scar that is located inward as much as possible and causes a central depression of the surrounding skin. This can be created surgically by how the overlying skin is excised for the belly button delivery and shortening the umbilical when putting it together.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD