Fixing Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

I had a tummy tuck 1 year ago and am not pleased with my belly button. It has a raised scar all the way around it. Is it possible to fix that? If so, what are the chances that it will scar that way again?

Belly Button Revision after Tummy Tuck

+3

There are several reasons why patients do not like their belly buttons after tummy tucks. Here are several examples of why. Some feel that their:

1.  Belly button look like a slit

2.  Belly button is too large

3.  Belly button position is too high or too low

4.  Raised or excessive scarring of their belly button

First and foremost, all of the concerns above can be addressed in a revision procedure. Their are different techniques for each type of concern when revising a belly button.  From the sounds of it, your concern is the scar around the belly button. Your scar is slightly raised and their are some marks / scars from the use of external sutures. You should consider a revision of the scar using internal or buried sutures to avoid some of the suture tracks. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Some of it can be fixed

+3

It really irritates me that the focal point of the abdomen, the belly button, is given the least amount of thought and surgical time. Most surgeons make a round hole and stick the belly button into it. Okay I digress, see my blog for more. For your problem I would re excise the scar, use different suture to close it then watch closely to see if the hypertrophy you got the first time occurs again. If it does steroids can help.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

A scar revision may certainly help

+3

A year after surgery it is ceratinly reasonable to consider revising a scar of this nature. I would say given the suture marks and rasised nature of the scar, you would be able to make it better by re-excising it. We are also getting some really exciting results in scar appearance using the echo2 fractional CO2 laser.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Fixing Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

+2

After one year if the scar is raised or hypertrophic a scar revision is appropriate to perform. This can be done under local anesthesia in the office with minimal time required.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Bellybutton revision after a tummy tuck

+2

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Aesthetically, one of the most important components of a tummy tuck is the appearance of the bellybutton. In our practice, we typically create a vertical bellybutton and avoid placing a scar around the bellybutton by placing it at the bottom of this structure.

However, we commonly have patients come to practice after having received a tummy tuck elsewhere for a revision of the bellybutton. If the patient has enough skin laxity is possible to correct the bellybutton into a more attractive structure with a less noticeable scar.
Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with abdominoplasty and umbilicoplasty. They will be able to assess the quality of your tissue and determine which techniques can help you achieve your goals.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Belly Button Scar Revision

+1
Yes, it is possible to revise scars around your belly button, umbilicus following a tummy tuck. The procedure can usually be performed as an office procedure using local anesthesia. There are many techniques to minimize scarring afterwards. See the below link for more information

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Umbilical scar revision

+1

If you are distraught with the appearance, I would certainly advise you to try a scar revision. There are no guarantees that you will get a better scar but you are operating under completely different circumstances.

Belly button scar revision

+1

It is certaily possible to revise a belly button scar at one year after surgery, but it may be no better than it was.