More Children Ten Years After Tummy Tuck?

Thank you so far for everyone's great advice. So, I'm getting my tummy tuck this week and yes I'm scared. I have faith and trust in my doctor; I researched him well. I know I'm healthy, I don't smoke nor drink. I just am nervous for some reason. I have a lot of paper work talking about what to do and not to do before and after my surgery so I'm well aware of it. Can I have more kids later say in 10 years after my tummy tuck? I want one more kid but not till later.

Pregnancy after a tummy tuck (TT) and secondary TT

+2

The tummy tuck should not effect your ability to have a child. In fact, in my 16 years of practice, I am aware of 3 patients who have had children after a tummy tuck. One of my current office staff did exactly that and went on to have a second tummy tuck. 

+1

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure.  In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck.  Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps. 

Children after tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

It's very normal to be nervous in the days prior to surgery. Yes, you can have children in the future, but you may need another tummy tuck after that. For this reason, we usually advise patients to wait until they are done having children. That being said, some patients are able to have children after their surgery and note that their abdomens come back to normal. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Children After Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend patients finish having children before they embark on expensive surgery like a tummy tuck. The reason is that another pregnancy can leave you with residual tissue and rectus diastasis and a need for a revision.

With that said it is safe to have children after a tummy tuck. Even though the muscle are usually repaired with a permanent stitch the tissues will still be able to expand during the pregnancy.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancies are certainly possible after tummy tuck

+1

YES! Of course you can have more children ten years after tummy tuck. Remember the stretching of the abdominal skin will occur with future pregnancies. Good Luck!

Kids after Tummy Tuck

+1

It is ok. But you must understand that the results you have after your tummy tuck may not be the same after your pregnancy. You may want another tummy tuck after you final pregnancy.

There is a small possibility that you may be happy when your pregnancy is done and not want or need to have a tummy tuck again.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Children After Your Tummy Tuck

+1

As my colleagues have accurately stated, a tummy tuck will not prevent you from a future pregnancy. But do understand that a future pregnancy can potential "undo" the improvements from your tummy tuck. Most plastic surgeons make sure that their patients are done will having kids before recommending a tummy tuck. In your case where you wish to wait 10 years until having another child, you will enjoy your tummy tuck results for a decade. However, if you choose to have another child, you will likely need a revisional procedure to retighten your skin and muscles.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Definitely possible to have children after a Tummy Tuck

+1

It is definetly possible to have children after a tummy tuck. I have many patients that have done so. However, If you are planning more children, you should know that you may stretch out your previous result. So, you may want to wait until you are done having children.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Children after tummy tuck

+1

Nothing about the tummy tuck will prevent you from having children later on.  Pregnancy will tend to relax the surgical repair to some degree, and that is why most plastic surgeons prefer you to have a tt after you are done with child rearing.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

No problem with having children after a tummy tuck

+1

You can have more children after the surgery but do realize your results will change as your body changes with the pregnancy. Weight gain and weight loss will also affect your final results so make sure you are as close to your optimal weight as posible.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon