Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy Complications?

What are the possible complications of having a tummy tuck before pregnancies? 37 yr old female with loose skin, 2 miscarriages and now thinking of getting tummy tuck. Though I would like to try to conceive and carry baby to term, next year. What are the risks for me and baby?

Tummy Tuck before pregnancy

+1

Your prior tummy tuck should not affect your pregnancy and not pose significant additional risks.

Tummy tuck best after pregnancy

+1

If you are planning to have a pregnancy within the next year I certainly would recommend avoiding a tummy tuck at this time.  However, if you choose to undergo a tummy tuck, complications with pregnancy are minimal.

Best Wishes.

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: https://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

I have performed tummy tucks in women prior to childbearing, usually in women after massive weight loss.   The only risk is that pregnancy could stretch the skin requiring a second tummy tuck later.  The only difference in your case is that I probably would not do a muscle tightening procedure.  Good luck!

Such a common question ... should I get a tummy tuck if I'm not finished having children?

+1

Typically, a pregnancy after a tummy tuck will undo most of the maneuvers used to obtain a flat abdomen during the procedure.  In my practice I avoid full abdominoplasties in anyone who is not certain they have completed their family.  Take heart, though.  There are some in-between procedures such as liposuction and mini-abdominoplasties which may improve the situation without affecting the ability to expand for your new baby.  You will still need the full procedure later if the upper abdomen is involved is not tight/flat enough!

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

If you are considering pregnancy but really want to get a tummy tuck soon, then get a tummy tuck without muscle tightening.

+1

If you are considering pregnancy but really want to get a tummy tuck soon, then get a tummy tuck without muscle tightening. Otherwise, wait until you are done having children for a full tummy tuck.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

Have your children before having a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck is a big surgery and not one that you would chose to have twice. If you are only planning on one more pregnancy and it is going to be relatively soon, it makes a lot of sense to wait until having all of your children before having a tummy tuck. There should not be any harm to you or your child by having the tummy tuck first, you will just lose some if not most of your result by having a child after the surgery.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck before Pregnancy

+1

I have had patients who have had a tummy tuck prior to thier pregnancy. Obviously, it is not ideal but, some women who have loose skin, stretch marks, and a pouch rightfully decide to have a tummy tuck to fix thier body, even they haven't had a child yet.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com

Tummy Tuck before pregnancy

+1

Our skin and underlying tissue have an incredible ability to stretch as the result of slow pressure over time from either pregnancy or weight gain. There will be no harm to the developing baby or you after a tummy tuck but the aesthetic results will suffer. During a standard tummy tuck  the abdominal muscles are also brought together with suture. After pregnancy the muscles will not return to their normal desirable position.

If you are going to have a child within the year it makes sense to wait to have the tummy tuck after the baby is born. You might also consider a lesser operation which would simply remove the skin without tightening the muscle knowing you will need to do the formal tummy tuck once you have completed your family.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with this important decision. Good luck

Web reference: http://www.drrobkessler.com

+1

You should be able to have a normal pregnancy after a tummytuck, so the real risk is probably to your bank account because you almost certainly will need to have the TT revised after a pregnancy. I think any surgeon would strongly advise you to wait.

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck?

+1

If you are planning on having a pregnancy in the near future, it will be in your best interest to delay undergoing the tummy tuck procedure.

However,  generally speaking patients who do become pregnant after undergoing tummy tuck surgery are able to have normal pregnancies afterwards.    
Depending on weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc. revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy.   

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm