Is Tummy Tuck with Back Lipo Safe?

I think I have anemia and wanted to have a full tummy tuck with full back liposuction. Is it safe to have them both at the same time?

I would not do this combination personally

+2

As others have said, you first need to determine if you are truly anemic and, if so, why. Secondly, it is a significant injury to your torso to do liposuction on your back and a tummy tuck in front. If you are too immobile after surgery because of pain, your risks of fatal blood clots dramatically increases. Consequently, while it is convenient to combine some surgeries and have one recovery, this particular combination isn't one I would recommend.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Safe together but safer separately

+1

I have done these procedures togther many times with good success. There are many factors that contribute to risk in surgery. In surgery one must consider the health of the patient, the type of procedure and the duration of the procedure.

These two procedures are "safe" together but are safer separately.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

You can have both back Lipo with Tummy Tuck

+1

I would caution you that the reason for your anemia MUST be determined first. However assuming that you get your blood levels to normal, I would, in most cases, feel comfortable doing back liposuction and a Tummy Tuck. Of course, this recommendation could change, depending on the surgeons examination of you.

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Depends on what is done specifically...

+1

Determine what your degree of anemia is and why you are anemic. It might be a simple matter of taking iron to treat it or more complicated with blood dyscrasias. Secondly, risk and blood is a function of what is specifically done at surgery. Most of the time, blood loss can be dramatically reduced by careful planning, gentle surgery and use of cautery. However, some blood loss is inevitable and is also dependent on volume and surface area. For example, you might experience more blood loss suctioning a small amount of fat over a very wide anatomical region than suctioning a large amount of fat in a very limited area. Thus, safety question cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. In addition, blood loss is not the only risk associated with this type of surgery. Respiratory problems, deep vein thrombosis. and pulmonary embolism are possible.

Lipo + Tummy Tuck

+1

You should first determine if you are, as you say, anemic. If you are you need a medical evalutation and treatment prior to surgery. While the amount of liposuction during tummy tuck is generally limited, some lipo to your back would probably be safe to do at the same time. Deal with the anemia issue first.