I Am Having a Tummy Tuck & BA & Lift and I Drive Haulpack is 3wks Enough Time off Work? (photo)

I am a 40 y/o/f having a Tummy Tuck and a BA and lift - I am hoping to go from a sagging C cup to a BOLD D or DD - I am unsure. Do you feel a TT will be benificial for me. I drive those big ole Haulpack trucks. I can book for 3 weeks time off is this enough. I dont plan on losing anymore weight just the apron Also, where can I buy the tummy compression bandages and special bras, as I will be on my own and really want to have these things prior to my travelling (I live way up north!) Thank you

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+2

Hi there-

It looks like you are a very good candidate for the improvements you are planning.

Agree with my colleagues' concerns that the time you have allotted may not be enough for you to safely return to such a physically demanding job... The concern is not only that you have difficulty performing your job, but also that in the attempt to perform before your abdominal repair is strong, you actually tear the sutures placed in your abdominal muscles and destroy your outcome. This would be very painful and would require more surgery to fix.

Best to avoid problems and give yourself more time if possible.

Tummy Tuck Recovery Is More Difficult and Longer Than Commonly Perceived

+2

The time that you have planned to be off from work for a tummy tuck, given your occupation, is not adequate. Given the very strenuous nature of your work you will really need 4 weeks at a minimum and more ideally six weeks for an adequate recovery. While a tummy tuck will make a huge difference in your body shape, it is not an easy operation to recover from when you consider having to return to a very physical job.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Time off Work after Breast Surgery and Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures, I think you will have a very nice result with the planned operations. However, based on your occupation,  I would suggest that you do these operations when you have additional time off arranged.

For example, you will find that after tummy tuck surgery getting in and out of a big truck may be uncomfortable for at least 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. Also, sitting for long periods of time ( while truck driving) exposes you to risks of clots in the lower extremities.  If you are planning on driving away from your plastic surgeon's vicinity,  follow-up and care of any complications that can arise will be difficult.

Your chosen plastic surgeon will be  able to  provide you with more specific recommendations/ return to activity guidelines.

Tummy tuck and time off work

+1

Yes, I think you would enjoy the cosmetic benefits of a tummy tuck.  Please know that for my patients, I recommend no heavy lifting (no more than 10-15 pounds) for about six weeks.  You may need to take more than three weeks off.

I also recommend that you not do this on your own.  You will need somebody with you for the first 3-5 days to help you and make sure you are taken care of.

It is also best to have someone drive you to your first postoperative visit as you will likely not be off pain medication. If you are not off pain medication, then you are not cleared to drive.

Discuss this and other details with your plastic surgeon, and come up with a plan that is safe and will work for your schedule.

Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Time off from work after tummy tuck/augment/pexy

+1

I personally do not think that anyone can guarantee that, after 3 weeks, you will be ready to return to work, particularly driving a vehicle for what I assume would be long distances.  I would suggest that you plan for a minimum of four weeks off although six would be better.  You should clarify the amount of time off that you need with your employer prior to surgery so that there are no misunderstandings afterwards.

Robert L. Kraft, MD