Asymmetrical Tummy Tuck Results

I had a tummy tuck a few years ago, with a follow up procedure for fininshing up. Although I am happy with the improvement in many ways, the results are very asymmetrical. There is noticeably more fat on my left side, the visible scars are very crooked, the internal stiches are noticeably asymmetrical, and my naval is not centralized. I still have a "ridge" at the incision, with noticeably more fat on top. These things are noticable with a structured one piece bathing suit on.

The results are nothing like the before and after photos I was shown, but I have no idea what to do about this. I was not particularly overweight before surgery (5'7", 145 lbs.). I was in my 40s and had 2 children and a hysterectemy previously.

Any words of advice or thoughts on next steps I should take to correct this?

The Next Step

+2

Grace,

You mention that it has been a few years since you had the tummy tuck. Asymmetry is common post tummy tuck and often can be resolved. The best advice I can give you is to go back to see the surgeon who performed the initially surgery. This way he or she can advise you further.

Good luck and have a Happy New Year!

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Bad results after a tummy tuck demand a second opinion.

+1

Your description sounds like you have had a subpar result.  If your surgeon agrees with you he should be willing to fix the various problems.  If not, either you are too critical or he is in denial.   A second opinion should help clear things up.

Asymmetry after a tummy tuck

+1

I'm so sorry your results are not what you hoped to have.  It sounds like it's time to seek the opinion of another surgeon (or two).  There may be options for you, which may range from some additional liposuction to removal of more skin.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Issues after a tummy tuck surgery

+1

It looks like there are many issues with this.

If the belly button is not centralized, it is harder to centralize at a later date. 

If there is more fat on one side, you may want to consider a touch up lipo. 

The scars could be crooked because there was a lot of loose skin on one side compared to the other before the procedure. 

I would recommend you wait about six months or so to see if some of these issues will improve over time. 

Some of the issues can be corrected, but some things that would be harder to correct include the belly button and the the scars. 

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Asymmetrical tummy tuck results

+1

Tummy tucks are an extremely popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Great care should be taken in planning the procedure and in the placement of the incision. If you have an asymmetrical result, you should discuss your concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in abdominoplasty, body contouring, and flap surgery. They will be able to assess the laxity in your tissue and determine if they may establish symmetry by elevating the flap and placing it in even tension throughout the wound. In our practice, we have done this successfully many times and patients requesting a revision of a tummy tuck done at other clinics.
To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Asymmetrical tummy tuck results.

+1

Without a picture it is difficult to suggest a possible solution. I would recommend that you seek a consultation with another plastic surgeon to discuss your options for improvement

Abdominoplasty

+1

I would go over your concerns with  your surgeon to see what if anything can be done to help you. If you are not satisfied with the answers, perhaps then you should seek a second opinion.

Call your surgeon, He/She would want to help.

+1

The first step you want to take is to call your surgeon and make an appointment. No Plastic Surgeon wants a patient to be unhappy. Only they would be able to let you know if your result can be improved or is at an end point. Our life blood is our patient referrals, and we want our patients to tell others about how pleased they are about their final result.

I am not certain if you had the wrong expectations or if your result is not satisfactory.

Only your doctor or another Plastic Surgeon can get you that answer. Don't be afraid to call, you may end up with a perfect answer and better final result. Start 2009 our on a happy note.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD