2 Years After TT and I've Gained Fat but It's Storing in my Lower Back, Suggestions?

I had an extended tummy tuck 2 years ago. Now i gained a bit more weight than i used to, and all the fat is going right above the surgery scars. Especially the back. My upper body looks fine but my lower back has these 2 stored fats on the sides which I'm trying to burn these fat away but i can't. Any suggestions?

Weight gain after abdominoplasty

+1

Congratulations on your honesty.  Your back fat will go away if you get back down to the weight you were when you had your abdominoplasty.  Check out my blog entry on how my weight loss patients have lost weight and kept it off.  They are the real experts.  Good luck. 

Weight gain unrelated but distribution could be predictable

+1

Following a tummy tuck,where the front and sides of the abdomen are addressed most patients continue to get improvement in their body shape. This is contingent on maintaining body weight and a reasonable activity / diet program. However, different stresses can happen in life and a weight gain could happen. In this case the most of the excess gets distributed in other areas first followed by abdominoplasty areas. This is merely a clinical observation. The usual treatment is to get back to normal weight and /or liposuction. Hope that helps.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

2 Yrs Aftr TT & I've Gained Fat but It's Storing in my Lower Back, Suggestions?

+1

Well I give you a lot of credit for being honest about your weight gain...Usually my patients blame it on me!!!!! Really your two choices are 1) weight loss or 2) Liposuction....And since it seems like it wasn't there after your surgery but showed up with the extra weight, it sounds like you can accomplish your goal without more surgery!!! Good luck

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Back Fat

+1

I refer to this flank fat as the "human's camel hump."  It's a storage area and typically the most difficult fat to lose.  I've found that even my patients that work-out like crazy and have the best diet have difficulty losing this fat.  This is especially true after age 40.  So your solutions are liposuction, which will allow the fat to really be cleaned out or CoolSculpting which is an excellent non-invasive method of fat reduction.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after abdominoplasty

+1

Having a tummy tuck will not stop you from gaining weight.  I'd really recommend that you attempt to lose some weight through dieting.  If you are unsuccessful, you could consider liposuction of the lower back and the abdomen.  Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck cannot prevent weight gain

+1

The answer to your question is a simple one. Stop eating and exercise. Tummy tuck will not control weight and weight gain will ruin your result. Time to get serious.

Peter Johnson, MD

Gaining Weight after Surgery

+1

Patient should be aware that plastic surgery does not prevent you from gaining weight.  After surgery, you still need to have a balanced diet and regular exercise to maximize your results.  If you do over eat and you gain weight, then I would suggest having liposuction of your lower back and abdomen.  However, you did not post pictures, so it is difficult to give you specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

I recommend trying to get back down to your goal body weight to see if these areas improve. If not you may consider liposuction of your lower back area. I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation in person.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Gaining weight after tummy tuck

+1

There are really only two choices I believe, one is to lose weight and see if the condition improves.  The other is to have the area treated with liposuction which is a surgical procedure to remove localized areas of fat that you cannot address with diet and exercise.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon