Would a tummy tuck and muscle repair help me and would I still be a good candidate despite previous surgeries? (photo)

I am a healthy, active, happy 37 year old woman with two kidney transplants over 10 years ago. I have also had a complete hysterectomy and a laparoscopic gallbladder removal. My lab work and kidney function are great and I pay attention to my health. I am very active and at a healthy weight (5'8 and 135-145 lbs) but I hate the way my stomach poofs out due to muscle separation and some extra padding that a healthy diet and exercise doesn't seem to help with. I want to look the way I feel.

Plan tummy tuck with transplant surgeon too

+1
It looks like you may very well benefit from a tummy tuck and lose the scars on the abdomen. However, I would be VERY careful with this and involve the transplant surgeon to help locate and protect the kidneys during any type of abdominal surgery.  Since you've come so far to get your kidneys in working order, you want to protect them above all else. Good luck.

Abdominoplasty

+1
as long as your transplant surgeons have no objections, i think you would really benefit from an abdominoplasty. you would lose all those vertical scars and your abdominal wall could be flattened. good luck!!

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Would a tummy tuck and muscle repair help me and would I still be a good candidate despite previous surgeries?

+1

Based on your pictures, you may have a good result. See an experienced plastic surgeon as your scars need to be considered. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after previous surgeries

+1

You will need a modified tummy tuck given your existing scars. You probably need a pre-op ultrasound to locate the transplant and protect it during surgery. Most important, your plastic surgeon needs to examine you, plan surgery carefully and get written permission from your nephrologist and transplant surgery. The worst outcome would be a good tummy tuck result but a damaged transplant. Best wishes/

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD