I Had Tummy Tuck and Lipo 8 Weeks Ago, And Still Have Swelling, Around The Incision Especially. Is This Normal?

I had tummy tuck 8 weeks ago and still swollen on my tummy, specially the scar.is this normal?

Still have swelling 8 weeks after a tummy tuck

+1

It is normal to have swelling for weeks to months after a tummy tuck.  The acute swelling (fluid in the tissues) mostly resolves over a few weeks. The more chronic thickening of scar tissue, both beneath the incision and under the tummy as a whole, may take 6 months or more to completely soften and flatten.  The lymphatic obstruction (where the tummy is flatter in the morning upon arising, and accumulates in the lower flap just above the incision during the day while up and around, then resolves again by the next morning) will gradually diminish over a few months as new lymphatic channels that were divided by the incision are re-established.  Final result? maybe 6 months or so, but getting gradually better and smaller over that time.

Tummy Tuck - I Had Tummy Tuck and Lipo 8 Weeks Ago, And Still Have Swelling, Around The Incision Especially. Is This Normal?

+1

It sounds pretty normal though it's also a question of degree.

A small amount of swelling is normal; a significant amount is not.  And the trend is important also.  Do you have more swelling than a few weeks ago, less, or the same?  The greater the total amount of swelling, and the more it's increasing lately, the higher the likelihood that you are accumulating some fluid.  This fluid can be drained off, or drains reinserted, or both but - above all - you don't want to wait too long.  The longer the fluid stays there (assuming it is fluid) the more difficult it may be address it ultimately.

So you should contact your PS and explain what's going on, and make sure that everything is healing as it is supposed to be.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Swelling?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your recent  tummy tuck surgery.

Yes, it is quite normal to have swelling around the incision 8 weeks after the tummy tuck surgery.  I tell my patients that they won't see the end results of the tummy tucks surgery until one year post operatively.

The swelling usually dissipates and the next one to 2 months.  I  would suggest continued follow with your plastic surgeon who will be checking for “abnormal swelling” ( for example seroma).  If you have any signs of infection (redness, discharge, fevers) associated with the  swelling  see your surgeon ASAP.

Swelling 8 weeks after tummy tuck with liposuction is normal

+1

Yes, it is normal to have swelling 8 weeks after a tummy tuck with liposuction. You had a lot of surgery and it takes a while for the swelling to resolve.  Wearing a light compression garment (like Spanks) can be helpful, as well as massage. Keep all your post op appointments with your board certified plastic surgeon.  

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon