Can I get Tummy Tuck AND Lipo at same time?

I am getting a TT & lipo of the flanks & hips at one time. My friend is also getting a TT but her doctor said you shouldn't get lipo done when you get a TT. There will be a lot of fluid build up. I am NOT getting any lipo done in the abdomen region just the flanks and hips. Is this not a good idea or can you have both done at the same time. I am just concerned if lipo shouldn't be done simultateoulsly. I feel my body definately needs the lipo of flanks and hips and why not have it done all at once?

Lipo and TT at the same time

+1
It all depends on what areas are getting the liposuction. Usually we minimize the amount of lipo in the abdomen, but lipo of the love handles and thighs at the same time is safe. I try to keep the surgical time at less than 3 hours to give you a rapid recovery. Some surgeons a slower and only will do a TT. A lot of this is personal preference.

Safe

+1
There are some areas where liposuction can be performed at the same time as a tummy tuck, and some areas where it should not be performed.  Hips and flanks are a safe location to have liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck.  Do you and your friend have the same surgeon? 

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and lipo of flanks and hips

+1
Performing liposuction of the flanks and hips at the same time as a full tummy tuck is commonly performed.  I personally agree that liposuction of the abdomen at the same time as a full tummy tuck may be a bit risky.

Lipo with tummy tuck

+1
It is common to perform tummy tucks with liposuction of the flanks. The lipo should not be performed in the area of blood supply to the abdominal flaps and that is likely what your friend was talking about.  Without an examination, it is difficult to comment further on precisely what you need and whether there would be any contraindications.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck and lipsuction at the same time?

+1
Most experienced plastic surgeons perform limited liposuction of selective areas at the time of an abdominoplasty in the appropriate patient. 

Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and Tummy Tuck at Same Time

+1
Your question is a good one! Most surgeons routinely perform liposuction of the flanks at the time of a tummy tuck. They do not perform liposuction of the front of the abdomen because there are risks to doing this (too difficult to explain here) when combined with a traditional abdominoplasty, making it unsafe. 
However, there is a certain type of tummy tuck that not many surgeons perform, called a lipo abdominoplasty, pioneered by a surgeon named Saldnha in Brazil. Not all patients are candidates for this type of procedure. However, this procedure is a specialty of mine as I perform it in the proper candidates. With  this procedure, it is safe to suction the front of the abdomen as well as the sides. If done properly, a much nicer/flatter abdominal contour can be obtained. I'd be happy to see you to determine if you are a candidate for the procedure and to discuss the details of it with you in greater depth. 

Best of luck to you with whatever you choose. 

David Cangello, MD

TT and Liposuction

+1
Exactly, liposuction of the flank/hip regions is routinely performed with a Tummy Tuck and it is usually included in surgery. Liposuction of the abdomen is not the norm with a TT. 

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of other areas concurrent with tummytuck is very common

+1
performing liposuction body-contouring of some areas while doing a tummytuck for the abdomen is an extremely common and mainstream combination of surgeries. As long as the entire operation can be accomplished in a reasonable time frame and without excessive fluid shifts or blood loss , you should be just fine. the procedure you describe sounds quite safe and conservative, so you should not be worried about going ahead.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Tt with lipo

+1
You are correct. As ling as the liposuction is not done in the upper abdomen at same time   It should be fine. We do liposuction with Abdominoplasty in the flanks routinely

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon