Normal Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair Recovery?

I had a tummy tuck and hernia repair 7 weeks ago. The last 3 days I have had some swelling between the belly button and the scar. Is this normal or should I worry?

+1

Best to be seen by your surgeon to determine if a suture rupture or seroma/hematoma or it is nothing. Best to you. 

Swelling after Tummy Tuck & Hernia Repair

+1

You should see your surgeon to be evaluated. It is common to have episodes of swelling in this area after a tummy tuck but your surgeon may want to make sure it is not a fluid collection (seroma) or a recurrent hernia.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Swelling 7 wks after TT

+1

Any swelling seven weeks after a tummy tuck is probably nothing to worry about. Did you do anything different like wear tighter clothing, eat more salty things? It takes about 3 months for all of the swelling to go away.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Swelling in tummy tuck scar

+1
At seven weeks, you are at an inflammatory point in the healing of the scar. It is possible that your swelling has actually deceased and that this has made you more aware of pain. The other possibilities include a late seroma formation or activity straining the musculature. The most intelligent thing for you to do would be to call your plastic surgeon who can examine you and assess the cause.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling

+1

This can be completely normal or be an indication of a problem. The only way to know is to see your surgeon.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Normal Healing after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Unless the swelling you are experiencing is associate with signs of infection ( redness, discharge, fever)  or seroma ( fluid wave with movement or on palpation)  then it is part of the normal healing process.

Generally speaking,  tummy tuck surgery involves the interruption of arterial inflow as well as venous/lymphatic outflow. As patients' activity level increases  the abdominal wall flap may have a hard time eliminating fluids from the area. It may take several months to a year for the situation to improve  whereby patients no longer have the increased swelling with increased activity.

Of course, no online consultant  can give you as precise advice  as your plastic surgeon will be able to do when you see him/her in person.