Tummy Tuck and Breast Revision Surgery?

In 5 weeks I am scheduled to have my mommy makeover. This surgery is to consist of full tummy tuck, lipo of hips & flanks, plus a breast revision surgery to remove encapsulated silicon implants and replace with saline. I am 5ft tall and 110lbs (at my goal weight) but hate my excess abdominal skin. I am worried about the length of time under general anesthesia which sounds like it will range from 6-8 hours depending on complexity of breast surgery. Should this surgery be broken up into two?

Breaking up Tummy Tuck and Breast Revision Surgery?

+1

Each patient differs with how much surgery can be performed due to their medical history and how complicated their procedure is.

Generally speaking, tummy tuck and revisionary breast surgery can be performed at the same time.

I would suggest that you make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon who performs his/her surgery in an accredited facility.

Mommy makeover is safe procedure.

+1

Mommy makeover is safe as long as it is done for healthy patients.  Mommy makeover is a combination surgery of abdomen and breasts; it is usually done at the same time.  Depending on complexity of surgery, it may take 4-6 hours.  You want to be optimized medically and at a stable weight prior to your surgery.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative instruction to minimize peri-operative risks and complication.  I do not think you need to break your procedures into two.  Good luck with surgery and recovery.  

Sugene Kim, MD

Tummy Tuck with Breast Revision Surgery

+1

I frequently perform breast revision surgery in combination with other procedures.   As long as you are healthy and have appropriate medical clearance, you can safely have both procedures performed.   You may consider an overnight stay to optimize your comfort and safety.  

I wish you a healthy and safe recovery!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Combined procedures are safe

+1

Depending on your overall health status, combined cosmetic surgery procedures are safe.  Please make sure your procedure will be performed in a fully accredited surgical facility or hospital.  Make sure that your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Also ask your PS if an overnight stay will be required/recommended.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Surgery/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction Are Key Elements To A Mommy Makeover

+1

Your planned surgeries, breast revision, tummy tuck and liposuction, sound like the standard Mommy Makeover surgical combo.  Since you are so petite, I doubt seriously if your liposuction will take much time.  Also at 5' tall and 110 pounds, more than likely the removal of the loose skin on your abdomen will have a shorter scar with quicker surgery than if you were 5'10" and 195.  Therefore, less fat removed and shorter scar to sew up would indicate to me that you will have a quicker rather than longer surgery.  Timing of breast revisions is always difficult. 

The standard admonitions apply here.  I am sure you have chosen a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and if so, then the surgery will certainly be done in a certified surgery center.  I personally only use Board Certified anesthesiologists to administer the anesthesia as this creates a greater level of safety for the patient.

The greatest danger in anesthesia is the beginning and the end of the surgery, therefore two surgeries would double the number of beginnings and ends, and therefore double your risk from anesthesia.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Breast Revision Surgery?

+1

We do combination surgery frequently and the Mommy Makeover is one of the more popular combinations. We choose to limit surgery combinations to 5 hours, sometimes up to 5.5 hours, for safety reasons. The combination you mentioned should be easy to accomplish in that time frame. But be absolutely sure your procedure is being done in an accredited facility with a board certified anesthesiologist in the room with you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hello

+1

Doing 2 surgeries at the same time is done all the time. As long as you are monitored by a Certified Anesthesiologist you should be in good hand. Each practice is different; sometime some surgeons have colleague other PS assisting them to help get you in and out of anesthesia a.s.a.p.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Keep surgery time under 6 hours for mommy makeover

+1

Plastic surgeons have different ideas on how long is too long for surgery time, but I agree with Dr. Rand that keeping it under 6 hours is best. Although it is not possible to estimate surgery time for the capsulectomy and implant replacement without knowing more details, in general the combination of procedures you mention should be doable within this time frame.

Richard Baxter, MD

Length of cosmetic surgery

+1

It has been shown that surgeries longer than 6 hours on an outpatient basis have higher complications.  You might discuss this with your doctor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS