Would a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Complicate Future Pregnancies?

I'm 24, 5'7, 125 lbs, 1 child. I want a tummy tuck and breast lift (A cup breasts but DO NOT want implants.) I have separated muscles and an umbilical hernia about the size of a loonie. Fit w/ cardio 4 days and weights 3 days a week. I have an appt with a PS in November. What pregnancy complications can arise due to TT and breast lift? Would I still be able to nurse (with a lollipop scar)? Would I be more likely to need a C section? I may want more children but not for 5+ yrs.

+1

A tummy tuck and breast lift should not complicate any future pregnancy. A future pregnancy may, however, undo the improvement you will have gotten.

Were you planning a sure try for pregnancy in a year, I would discourage you from these procedures now. But to get 5 years or more of improvement seems reasonable, provided you are aware that you may be back for more surgery after more pregnancies.

You should be able to nurse, assuming you could for your first child. You should not be at any higher risk for a caesarian section.

Thanks for your question, and best wishes. 

Complication of Future Pregnancy by Mommy Makeover

+1

Thank you for the question. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and mastopexy (breast lift) should not complicate any future pregnancy. Having said that, future pregnancy will most likely undo what you have obtained from an abdominoplasty and mastopexy. I will usually recommend to my patients that it is best to wait till they are done having children before considering an abdominoplasty and/or a mastopexy. You had also stated that you wish to breast feed your next child and, while it is rare, mastopexy can impair your ability to breastfeed.

If you are set on having the procedures then make sure that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Also know that you will most likely require a revision of the procedures after your next pregnancy.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

+1

A  tummy tuck and/ or breast liftt will not complicate a pregnancy. However, your skin may sag again and separation of the rectus muscles may also re-occur requiring further surgery for optimal appearance. Your breast may also sag again if they get very large during your pregnancy. Still, they can be repaired as before. You may have more stretch marks, however, since your skin of your breast and abdomen will be tighter.

When an uplift is done with what is called a central pedical, the ducts of the nipple are not separated from the breast tissue, so nursing should not be a problem.

Logically, if you were planniing to get pregnant in the next year or so, it would seem reasonable to wait for the surgical procedures until after the pregnancy (s), but you say you want to wait 5 years. In this case, you may want to consider going ahead with the surgery so you can enjoy the results for the next few years. Try not to gain weight excessively when you do get pregnant, which sounds like no problem for you. Good luck.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring surgery and future pregnancy

+1

There are no significant health issues with future pregnancy after body contouring operations. The real issues are that your scars can widen, discolor, and some laxity of skin can come about. With breast surgery same can happen. I have seen a range of results after pregnancy. Some do really well, other really need revisions. With our minimal invasive lifts and lack of disruption of the breast tissue, breast feeding is mostly not harmed. In general, I tell patients that the outcome after pregnancy is unpredictable. If you are going to get pregnant in the next year or so, don't do it and wait till done with pregnancy. If it is more than two to three years away, then it might be worth it, with the knowledge that revisions might be needed.

Best wishes

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

I do not believe your surgery will complicate a future pregnancy. A future pregnancy may stretch your breasts and stomach again - so you may need additional surgery. But - 

• you are young, thin and fit. It makes sense to repair the muscle damage and restore the core support.
  • Your hernia has to be repaired, regardless.
  • most modern breast lifts do not disrupt the nipple-breast attachments so it should not interfere with future breast feeding.
  • a tummy tuck does not increase the risk of a C-section in the future. 

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Best to wait for mommy makeover until no more pregnancies planned

+1

Having a tummy tuck will not cause any complications with future pregnancy but it can undo much of the benefit. A breast lift can interfere with the ability to breast feed, although it is not common. For most women it makes sense to wait until you are not planning any more pregnancies.

Richard Baxter, MD

Would a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Complicate Future Pregnancies

+1

I have answered this question in a previous session. I have seen many patients have children after a tummy tuck and breast lift and there no perinatal complications. However, there may be new redundant skin that occurs because of stretching due to enlargement of the abdomen and breast.  If the skin does not return to normal then additional surgeries may be needed to excise the extra skin.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD