Is a Tummy Tuck and a Breast Implant with Lift to Risky to Do in One Procedure?

Tummy Tuck, Breast Implants with Lift - typical Mommy Makeover Procedure

+1
Breast implants/Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck Often Performed Together by many plastic surgeons
Different surgeons will recommend different procedures including doing more than one at a time. Some surgeons also differ in ability, time it takes to do the same procedure and general. It makes this a difficult choice for patients. Based on my own experience I would do all at once as long as it takes 4 or less hours. Surgeons should never perform elective operations that they are uncomfortable performing or feel unwise for them, nor should they be faulted for doing so. However, for me, I typically perform a tummy tuck and breast augmentation and lift (mastopexy) at the same time and usually takes about 3-4 hours so I recommend this be done in one surgery and this is what many refer to a Mommy Makeover.

Not only that,if you did not need a breast lift, I usually place breast implants through the Tummy Tuck incision but I prefer this technique. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Combination makes sense and is safe. Contrary to some of the answers I have found that the recovery time is not delayed and is the same as the tummy tuck procedure by itself. That is because you are healing simultaneously and not sequentially - both heal at the same time. The procedure only takes me about a half hour to 45 minutes longer than the tummy tuck alone. Best of all, I usually put in the breast implants through the tummy tuck incision so that there are no scars on the breasts.
I have performed many of these combination procedures over the past few decades and think it is a great idea without significant increased complications

Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift with Augmentation

+1

I have performed many of these mommy makeover combinations with full breast lift, and young, healthy people do well with these surgeries.  Part of this depends upon the time taken for the procedures.  In my practice, this sequence takes less than 4 hrs.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA

Combining or Staging Breast Augmentation/Lift and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Gabriela,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Many variables are to be considered in order to answer your question.

Usually, both surgeries are of a moderate intensity over the patient's body but without a physical examination, present health history and the results of lab combining both surgeries may not be a safe approach.

It is true that staging those surgeries is not uncommon, hence more financial responsibilities result from doing so. But, surgeons tend to approach such a project differently depending on ones abilities and preferences.

However, at the end of the day it is the patient's decision to choose the surgeon of preference hence the surgical plan offered with this decision.

As a foot note, combining both moderate surgeries is often the choice adopted by patients and experienced surgeons.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Combining Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation? #breastimplants

+1

Not at all. You may want to stay in an overnight stay facility though. It can be uncomfortable to have all of that surgery and then go home. It is nice to have nursing staff around to help you get up and down and to bring you medication when needed. If you are healthy you should be fine to proceed.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hello

+1

In our practice we do 2-3 procedures at one time, one anesthesia one recovery. It has a lot to do with how your surgeon feels. We use another Certified PS to help with the suturing to get you out of anesthesia faster and safer.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

BAM and Tummy tuck

+1

Most plastic surgeons are quite comfortable doing both of these procedures at the same time. I perform them together regularly. It will save you considerably on operating room fees and other expenses.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Combined TT/augment/pexy

+1
It is a lot of surgery and your recovery will be much more painful and prolonged than if you separate the procedures. Anything over 5 hours has a higher morbidity rate in and of itself and the idea of fine surgery is not to race the clock, and revise later. It is much more lucrative for the plastic surgeon. I typically offer a substantial discount on the second procedure so the patient doesn't suffer financially. Additional factors involve your medical condition; if you have any contravening medical issues then I would absolutely not recommend a combined procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Most surgeons will feel comfortable combining procedures

+1

Thank you for the question.  Combining a tummy tuck and breast augmentation with or without a lift is considered a safe combination of procedures by most plastic surgeons.  Most of my patients choose to undergo the combined procedures.

All the best

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Combining augmentation with tummy tuck

+1

There are good reasons to combine these two procedures. These include:

1). One recovery, 

2). One anesthesia.

3). Cost savings.

The bottom line is, can the two procedures be performed safely together?

The answer should be yes. 

Good luck with your decision,

Douglas Hargrave, M.D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Combo Tummy/Breast Surgery

+1

If you are healthy this is very common to do at the same time. While there is always some risk, I do not believe you compound it much by doing breast surgery at the same time as a tummy tuck.

Michael Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon