Tummy Tuck and Augmentation-171 Lbs-5'2-lost 100- How Do I Prepare?

I am scheduled for a Tummy tuck & augmentation in 17 days. I lost 100 lbs over 3 yrs. Now 5'2-171 lbs and I can't loose any more-the lower abdomen below the naval has a considerable amount of hanging skin. I am going out of state for surgery. I have been on Medifast diet for 3 months to get to lowest weight before surgery. Should I go on a clean eatting plan? How can I best prepare?

Preparation for a breast augmentation and tummy tuck.

+1

The most important thing a patient can do prior to a large procedure such as a tummy tuck and breast augmentation is to maintain a healthy diet. This does not mean trying to lose as much weight up until the surgery. Rather, a stable weight with adequate protein intake to assist with helaing. The tummy tuck alone creates a very large open wound which will need to heal. This is a metabolic load for which proper nutrition is essential to help prevent complications such as fluid collections and wound healing. In massive weight loss patients, a stabilized weight for 6 months is imperative. For those who lost weight via gastric banding or bypass, a full nutrition panel and vitamin supplementation is important prior to surgery.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for tummy tuck

+1

I think you are doing fine.I would recommend getiing clearance from your internist before your surgery.As long as your weight has been stable for several months go for it.I wouldn't have it done and then lose another 20 or more pounds.Congratulations!

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Nutrition and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is best to have a stable weight at the time of surgery.  Especially in the weeks right before and after surgery, it is important for you to maintain a healthy diet with a nice balance of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats.  A multivitamin can be a good supplement.  If you have selected a surgeon, call his or her office for specific instruction.  Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Diet before surgery

+1

Different surgeons have different recommendations and sometimes they vary depending on the surgery so you should ask your surgeon about specific recommendations for you. Good luck with your surgery.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for Tummy Tuck and Augmentation- Think Healthy Stability

+1

Hi there-

It sounds like you've worked very hard to achieve what you have, and I hope your surgical outcomes are everything you hope for...

With regard to how to best prepare for surgery, I would be concerned if one of my patients was pursuing a diet or lifestyle before surgery that they would not be able to maintain over the long term, or that might actually compromise their ability to heal after surgery. 

I believe patients do best when their diets and lifestyles are healthy and stable at the time of surgery. In other words, the best way to prepare is to follow the balanced diet and exercise regimen you are most likely to be able to maintain over the long term.

As always, it is also in your best interests to ask these questions of the qualified, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon I hope you chose to do your surgery- only they are familiar with their techniques and what successfully benefits their patients.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Healthy diet for tummy tuck

+1

The best plan is a stable weight and healthy diet habits before a tummy tuck. It is nice to be at your best weight for the procedure, but more important that you now have healthy eating habits and a stable weight to carry you through.

Peter Johnson, MD

Preparing for tummy tuck

+1

A healthy diet with extra protein, multivitamins with extra minerals and perhaps iron are always good steps to take when preparing for surgery. You should check in with your doctor's office since surgery is just 2 weeks from now. Maybe they have some special instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Prepare for Tummy Talk and Breast Augmentation?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

Your plastic surgeon will have a  specific list of “do's and don'ts” to help you prepare prior to surgery.  This list will likely include the  avoidance of nicotine and certain medications etc. A “clean eating plan” is not usually recommended.

Considering that you are about to  undergo a major procedure  few general words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Best wishes  for your upcoming surgery.