Is a Second Tummy Tuck Allowed 20 Years Later?

I had a tummy tuck and hysterectomy when I was 40 due a bladder problem. The results were great. Over the years, I have developed "apple cheeks" above the outer edges of the incision. Nothing helps. Can I have this performed again 20 years later? It is also causing an incontinence issue.

A tummy tuck can be redone if needed

+1

Thank you for the question.  Yes, a tummy tuck can be redone if needed.  To perform a tummy tuck again we would assume that you have re-developed abdominal soft tissue laxity.  If laxity is not an issue but fat deposits are then liposuction alone can be beneficial.

Dr Remus Repta

Revision Tummy Tuck after 20 Years

+1

It is good to hear that you were very satisfied with the results of your tummy tuck 20 years ago.  Even after an excellent tummy tuck, the passage of years will allow the tissues to soften and loosen, and this may be exaggerated by weight change.  I always inform my patients that cosmetic surgery does not stop our tissues from continuing to normally age and change.

If your board certified plastic surgeon thinks you are in good health and a good candidate for revision tummy tuck, you can achieve outstanding results with a revisional procedure... even 20 years later!

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

Revision tummy tuck 20 years later

+1

I'm happy to hear you were pleased with the results of your first tummy tuck!  Our bodies can certainly change over the course of twenty years, so if your skin and muscles have loosened or you've gained some weight, you may be a candidate for another body contouring procedure.

Of course, you'd need to be fully evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to help make this decision. I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

Without a thorough consultation including physical examination, it would be difficult to advise you properly. However, a revisional tummy tuck after 20 years is a viable option.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

A Revision might be helpful

+1

Revisional surgery might improve your result as it has likely changed over the years. You need a good examination by a qualified surgeon to focus on what might be done.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Second tummy tuck

+1

Without pictures it is tough to say, but redo or revision tummy tuck is appropriate in many cases. I doubt what you are describing has anything to do with your incontinence so I recommend you visit a Board certified Plastic surgeon as well as a urologist to figure out the real diagnosis and treatment plan. Good luck.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Secondary Abdominoplasty

+1

If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice.  However, if you have extra skin or fat, then a secondary procedure may be useful.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Secondary tummy tucks are allowed.

+1

Your secondary tummy tuck is appropriate and can be done in several different ways depending on what needs to be fixed.  Discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.  You also need to see a urologist regarding your incontinence; your tummy tuck is not affecting your incontinence nor will it fix it.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson 

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision Possible?

+1

Yes, revisionary tummy tuck surgery will very likely improve your situation. Exactly what would be recommended will depend on your physical examination and goals.

In person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be helpful to you.

Revision Tummy Tuck Options

+1

The short answer to your question is yes, you can undergo a revision tummy tuck procedure.  However, I would need to formally evaluate your areas of concern to give you any recommendations for treatment.   Your problem areas could be treated with the one of the following treatment options:

-liposuction alone
-scar revision
-a revision mini-tummy tuck +/- liposuction or
-a full revision tummy tuck +/- liposuction.

Also, it is unlikely that contour concerns are causing an incontinence issue.  I would refer you to a urologist for a formal workup.  

Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS