Is Age a Factor when Considering Tummy Tuck?

I am 56 and would love to have a tummy tuck. My "apron" is driving me nuts and getting very depressed about things now. Would age be a factor here?

Absolutely

+1

After ten years in practice and performing over 600 abdominoplasties, I feel the answer to your question is an unequivocal yes. The most feared complication of an abdominoplasty is deep venous thrombosis (DVT), which can lead to pulmonary embolus. Age is a risk factor for DVT and must always be considered. This does not mean you are not a candidate, just that you are at increased risk compared to a thirty year old, all else being equal. There are numerous other risk factors that have to be considered as well. In my practice we would have you obtain medical clearance prior to the procedure for an added measure of safety.

Age is always a factor in Tummy Tuck

+1

As long as you are healthy and have reasonable goals you should consider a tummy tuck.  Your plastic surgeon will have better idea of your likelihood of candidacy for a tummy tuck. Sometimes liposuction can be used before surgery to make it easier.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

If your health is otherwise fine and you are not obese, there is no other reason why you would not be considered a reasonable tummy tuck candidate at age 56.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD