Tummy Tuck After WLS but Before Babies?

I am getting the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in March and have about 110 pounds to lose. I am young, 21, but do have stretch marks over my abdomen. From what I have seen from other women my age, size, height and ethnicity (Latin) is that they have a very large "apron" of skin. I do plan on having children but not for at least 6 years, I am Pre-Dental. I don't know if I can live with a huge sagggy stomach for 6 years or more. Would it be that bad to get a tummy tuck now? What about a breast lift?

Tummy Tuck after Massive Weight Loss

+2

Many women who have undergone a massive weight loss and are still planning to have children may certainly have body contouring procedures.  An abdominoplasty without muscle repair will still allow the abdomen to stretch with pregnancy and can be performed with a body lift procedure.  If, at a later date, you need to repair the muscles, that procedure can be performed at a later date.

Regarding a breast lift, the biggest question you need to address is if you are planning to breast feed your children.  If you are, you may want to delay your breast lift until a later time when you have finished childbearing.

Best of luck in dental school.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift and a tummy tuck without muscle tightening can be done before having children.

+1

A breast lift and a tummy tuck without muscle tightening can be done before having children. It is important to know that you may not be able to breast feed, there is a chance that you will need a revision or redo of your surgeries later after you are done having children.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss, Before Babies?

+1

Good luck with your upcoming vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Hopefully your surgery and your postoperative course will be as smooth as possible.

I would certainly not fault you for wanting to undergo tummy tuck and/or breast lift surgery after the significant weight loss you are anticipating,  even though you have not have pregnancies yet. As you say, 6 years is a long time to live with the breast and abdominal wall changes you can expect after significant weight loss.

As you know, further surgery may or may not be necessary after pregnancy as well.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery and education.