Tummy Tuck After Vertical Surgical Scar?

After having a baby I had surgery for cervical cancer resulting in a vertical scar. Is it possible to have a good result with a tummy tuck?

Vertical scar

+2

Absolutely, especially if the scar goes only up to your belly button. In a routine tummy tuck the skin from your pubis to just above your belly button is excised and discarded. Even if the scar goes above your belly button, you can still obtain an excellent result by doing a tummy tuck.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with previous vertical scar

+1

You are an very good candidate since the vertical scar would be completely or nearly completely removed with the normal tissues taken with a tummy tuck. You already have a very visible scar which you'd be swapping for a lower one which is much easier to conceal. This is actually common in my practice and we have many before and after pictures to give a good idea of what to expect. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Vertical scar and tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your picture and question.  You appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck.  Since your vertical scar is below the belly button, the scar should be completely removed with the surgery.  An in person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon should give you the best answer.

Naveen Setty, MD

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your picture, I think you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Fortunately, the vertical scar in such a place that complete removal should be possible with the tummy tuck procedure.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck with a vertical scar

+1

To start I think she would have an excellent result after a tummy tuck.  The vertical scar is below your umbilicus, which in a traditional abdominoplasty would lie within the skin that is typically excised.  Thank you for your question.

Sincerely,  Joseph C Berardi M.D.

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Tummy tuck is a good option

+1

Thanks for your ? and pic. The classic pattern for a TT would incorporate the skin b/w the belly button and pubic hairline. This would include the existing scar that you have. The result would be a scar that extended from hip to hip but would be very low and concealed by clothing. This is often combined with liposuction of the hips to contour the entire waistline. You should find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to evaluate you in person. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Vertical scar and tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the picture.  A tummy tuck or full abdominoplasty would eliminate your vertical scar and replace it with a low transverse scar.  You should get a very nice result.  Good luck!

Bruce J. Cusenz, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Vertical lower abdominal scar and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck. That scar should be completely removed. Sometimes you might have slow healing of the belly button but other than that your abdominal contour will be greatly improved and your scar removed. Make sure you do your research and pick a borad certified plastic surgeon. Best to you.

Humberto Palladino, MD, FACS
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Lower Midline Vertical Scar

+1

Yes, based on your frontal photograph you could have an excellent result after a tummy tuck.  Part of the tummy tuck involves removal of the skin and tissues beneath your belly button.  In your case this would effectively "remove" the vertical scar from your gynecologic surgery.  You would be trading off the vertical scar for a horizontal scar, which would be concealed by your undergarments.  I would strongly suggest that you have a consultation and examination by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!  

Mark Schwartz, MD

Vertical scar on lower abdomen

+1

You would be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  By doint this you can substitute a low transverse scar for your unsightly vertical scar.  As long as you have enough skin laxity your result should be quite good and will accomplish your goals.