Can you have a tummy tuck after you have had an umbilical hernia repair with mesh?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Yes - there should be no issue with having your tummy tuck performed after an umbilical hernia repair with mesh.  Be sure that your plastic surgeon knows of your previous umbilical hernia repair.  Clinical examination prior to your procedure is important and will help to identify and more hernias, bulges, or areas of scarring from previous procedures on your abdomen.  This will allow for careful surgical dissection at these areas.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a great result!

Tummy tuck after hernia mesh repair

+1
  • Yes, you can have a tummy tuck after an umbilical hernia mesh repair.
  • You should choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is comfortable repairing hernias - 
  • The tummy tuck surgery is likely to take longer than usual because surgery around the hernia needs to go slowly and the muscle tightening needs to be cautiously done.
  • A good surgeon, a good exam and a good plan -  and you may be on your way to a tummy tuck. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia repair with mesh

+1
Yes it is possible to perform a tummy tuck after an umbilical hernia repair using mesh. However to determine this specifically in your case you will need an in person consultation and examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. In some cases if there are adhesions between the skin and the mesh it could make elevating the abdominal flap difficult.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Can a tummy tuck be performed after mega hernia repair?

+1
Thanks so much for your question. The short answer to your question is yes. It should be absolutely fine, but I would go to a surgeon who has experience with hernia repairs. Many plastic surgeons are board certified in both plastic surgery and general surgery. That type of person would feel very comfortable doing your surgery.  Good luck. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1
A tummy tuck can be performed after umbilical hernia repair with mesh.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Yes tummy tuck after umbilical hernia is fine

+1
Dear Broadus,

Yes it should be fine to have a tummy tuck after umbilical hernia repair.  I've run across this in my practice quite a few times and have had no problems.  Sometimes I remove the mesh sometimes I leave it in.  It all depends on what I am doing in there.  Often the umbilical her is reinforced naturally by the tummy tuck muscle repair.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck with hernia repair

+1
You can have a tummy tuck after hernia repair.  However a consultation is needed to evaluate you previous scar pattern and any possible blood supply limitations due to previous surgeries.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Tummy tuck after an umbilical hernia repair with mesh?

+1
That should be no problem and is very common     Wait 6-8 weeks after the hernia repair before having the tummy tuck.  Best to you

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1
That should be no problem for an experienced plastic surgeon. You should have just as good a result as any other patient that is a good candidate for the procedure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD