Tummy Tuck After 5 Surgeries & 2 Children...North Jersey

I've had 5 surgeries on my stomache over the years & I've lost 90 lbs(after Realize Banding)I'm desperate for a tummy tuck but can not afford one. Since I have a lot of scarring both outside & scar tissue that bothers me on the inside(on one of the bikini line scars from a childhood hernia surgery)would there be a medical reason for my ins co to to help cover even part of the surgery? Plus I believe that I am getting another hernia, should I see a regular surgeon or a plastic surgeon 1st? NJ

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

+1

The hernia should be repaired by a general surgeon but in many instances can be done simultaneously with the tummy tuck if the two surgeons can coordinate their schedules. The tummy tuck will not be covered by insurance. Though it is possible to have insurance pay for a portion of the anesthesia. There is no general rule as every policy is a bit different.

Tummy tuck is cosmetic surgery

+1

Tummy tuck is cosmetic surgery.   It will likely not be covered by any insurance.  If you indeed have a hernia, please see a general surgeon for a workup.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Hernia and tummy tuck

+1

I fyou have a hernia then I suggest you see a general surgeon. I often perform the cosmetic part at the same time as a surgical colleague fixes the hernia.

Repairing hernia during a tummy tuck.

+1

You first need to address your hernia by contacting a general surgeon.  With an ultrasound, he/she will be able to detect a hernia.  Usually, a general surgeon can repair a hernia during your tummy tuck procedure along side your plastic surgeon.

Tummy Tuck + Hernias

+1

Best is to post a photo but you did not do this. So my recommendation is see a team of general and cosmetic surgeons who work well together. So a team plan for correction of the ? hernias and cosmetic tummy tuck can be determined. The insurance will cover the hernias NOT the tummy tuck. So you will have costs to the hospital and plastic surgeon in the range of $8,000. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Tummy tucks are always cosmetic

+1

There will never be an insurance that will cover a tummy tuck now or in the future.  Occasionally in the distant past but no more.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tucks are cosmetic surgery

+1

As the others have stated, a tummy tuck is purely cosmetic surgery. If a hernia repair is done at the same time a portion of the costs (surgeon's hernia repair fee, part of the anesthesia and part of the facility cost) is sometimes covered. Many plastic surgeons will do a hernia repair, and if they file insurance and participate in your insurance, the process can be made a bit simpler. Your insurance will not cover a cosmetic procedure in almost all cases, so be prepared to pay for the cosmetic portion. Your hernia surgeon will likely need to send a letter requesting pre-authorization. Good luck!

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Hernia

+1

If you do have a diagnosed hernia, insurance may contribute to this type of repair. Most general surgeons repair abdominal wall hernias and this may be required by your insurance company.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Sorry but this is usually cosmetic.

+1

If you have a true hernia a general surgeon will repair it. For the tummy tuck it is cosmetic and not covered by your medical insurance unless your insurance covers cosmetic procedures.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck and insurance coverage

+1

We can all sympathize with your plight. We see patients like this all the time BUT, a tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure and should not be covered by insurance. You have to understand that insurance companies have a certain amount of money that they have to work with and their priorities are life and death issues. Cosmetic issues are not even on the radar. If an insurance company decided to start paying for these elective procedures you would see the rates skyrocket and then the consumers would start complaining about that.

So what can you do? Set yourself a budget and savings program at the same time start shopping around for pricing. You should be able to find the best value for your dollar.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon