What would a second tummy tuck after pregnancy look like? Can I avoid a vertical scar? (photo)

I am happy with the shape of my stomach, but now after a pregnancy, I do have some extra skin. When I sit, the extra skin folds over my incision. I also now have extra skin on my sides that protrudes out when I lie down. I know if I get a full abdominoplasty, I will probably have a vertical scar. If I only have the skin removed without the muscle repair, can I avoid the vertical scar? Will a tummy tuck get rid of the protrusion on my sides and help the appearance of my stretch marks?

Secondary Tummy Tuck.

+1
Since most of your concern is with the skin of the lower abdomen above the scar, a secondary tummy tuck with removal of excess lower skin could be done with a good effect and no new scars. I would not anticipate making a new hole for the belly button, so no vertical scar. You can also have your muscles re-tightened during the revision as well.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Scar Tummy Tuck

+1
Thanks for your pictures.  You would not need a vertical scar type tummy tuck. This type of tummy tuck is for people who have significant excess like after massive weight loss.  You concerns could be addressed by a standard tummy tuck revision.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

What would a second tummy tuck after pregnancy look like? Can I avoid a vertical scar?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs and concerns, it is likely that you will be an excellent candidate for revisionary surgery. This operation, based on the information available will likely involve removal of excess skin and adipose tissue of the lower abdominal wall and flank areas ( “muffin tops”). I do not think that a vertical scar will be necessary.

Re-approximation of the rectus muscles can also be done if necessary; this is best determined during physical examination.

Revision tummy tuck in Los Angeles

+1

Residual skin and muscle laxity can be corrected with a revision tummy tuck. During your examination, biometric examination will help determine the extent of the revision. A vertical scar will likely not be needed.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+1

Your belly button appears to be high and skin excess seems moderate, so a revision seems reasonable.

An exam would be needed to make a better recommendation in this instance.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and tummy tuck revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Can a vertical scar be avoided with abdominoplasty revision?

+1

The purpose of a vertical scar is to eliminate horizontal excess skin (skin from the flanks and midline). Essentially, the narrower you would like your waist to be, the more you should expect a vertical scar. I try at all costs to avoid a vertical scar except in the setting of post-bariatric surgery (surgery following a gastric bypass). I would recommend visiting a few board certified plastic surgeons. Nothing can substitute for a good physical exam. If the "protrusions" on your sides represent excess fat, liposuction will eliminate it. If it is excess skin, the transverse scar can be extended somewhat laterally to facilitate removal of excess skin. You can choose to avoid the muscle plication, but then you will not be able to experience the benefit of a narrower waistline. Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

+1

What you really need to consider is NOT getting pregnant again if you are anticipating more TT surgery.. I might offer you a mini TT with inferior MR and lipo...