Tummy Tuck After Post Partum Cardiomyopathy?

I had my son in December 2011 and three months after I was diagnosed with Post Partum Cardiomyopathy (PPCM). My ejection fraction was 20%, I was put on medication and in August 2012 my echo showed a complete recovery and my ejection fraction is back up to 60% and I'm on no medication since October 2012. I REALLY want to have a tummy tuck and lipo in April 2013 and I wanted to know if having had PPCM, can I still have these procedures done.

+1

It is wonderful that you have returned to good cardiac function.  Cardiac evaluation by a cardiologist prior to a tummy tuck is essential.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck With History Of Cardiomyopathy

+1

Cardiomyopathy, as you probably are aware, can be a very dangerous diagnosis.  However, it sounds as if you have made a nice recovery and could have a tummy tuck.  I would suggest asking your cardiologist for his/her opinion.  Good luck!

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck after Cardiomyopathy?

+1

Congratulations on your remarkable recovery from the cardiomyopathy. I would suggest that you undergo a thorough workup by your cardiologist and have him/her ascertain the specific “risk level” that you are in at this point. Assuming, your cardiologist is an agreement, select your plastic surgeon carefully;  I would suggest that you have a board-certified anesthesiologist  provide anesthesia for you in a fully accredited surgery center/hospital environment.

+1

If your health is good, having a tummy tuck and lipo can be done. The person deciding that you health is good will be not a plastic surgeon, but your cardiologist. 

From my limited knowledge of the disorder, the only risk factor for recurrence after recovery is subsequent pregnancy, and once recovery has recurrred, there is otherwise no residual cardiac problems. 

So first clear this with your cardiologist, and check if having a specialty anesthesiologist is advisable. Then proceed with plastic surgery consultation. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Tummy tuck after post pardum cardiomyopathy

+1

A tummy tuck can be performed after post pardum cardiomyopathy provided your cardiologist has evaluated your heart function and determined that you are completely recovered and your heart can withstand general anesthesia.  

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck and cardiomyopathy

+1

It sounds like you have recovered from you cardiomyopathy and would be a good candidate for the procedures that you are interested in.  Just to be on the safe side, you might want to get a letter from your cardiomyopathy doctor clearing you for surgery.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Cardiomyopathy Recovery and Tummy Tuck Candidacy?

+1

Cardiomyopathy will full recovery in a patient who received cardiac clearance may be an appropriate tummy tuck candidate, provided the patient is in otherwise good health.