Tummy Tuck After Multiple Lower Abdominal Surgeries?

After 3 small instestine surgeries and two full term preganacies I would like a tummy tuck done. I have not found any information pertaining to my unique situation. I have had two consulations so far. One dr said he could perform the TT with hernia repair, prior surgery/ scar tissue is not a problem. 2nd dr declined due to the prevoius surgeries. I am questioning now if I can safely and sucessfully have a TT done? Is there a particular PS I should be looking for besides being board certified?

Tummy tuck with mesh reinforcement

+1

Ventral hernia can be repaired using a tummy tuck approach.  There have been several recent papers on this technique using mesh to reinforce the abdominoplasty repair.  From my own personal experience, I have done a patient who had 5 c-sections and 4 previous hernia repairs who underwent combined abdominoplasty and hernia repair without complications.  You should look for a plastic surgeon who can do it all himself or in combination with a general surgeon.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with Hernia

+1

While having a hernia and history of multiple previous abdominal surgeries makes your case a little more complex, it doesn't mean it can't be performed safely.  It means you need to find a qualified board certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable with your case and has exeperience with these types of complex cases. 

A double-board certified plastic surgeon in both General Surgey and Plastic Surgery may feel more comfortable in this situation. 

While I am double-board certified in both General Surgery and Plastic Surgery, I occaisionally will have a General Surgeon colleague available for some of the more complex cases where extensive adhesions may exist.  After all, they routinely are dealing with intrabdominal adhesions on a daily basis. 

Often times, insurance will cover the hernia portion of the procedure and help offset some of your overall expense. 

Best Wishes,

Dr. Brian Joseph

Brian Joseph, MD

Tummy Tuck After Previous Abdominal Surgeries

+1

Plastic Surgeons who have been well trained and are experienced understand the difficulties associated with operating on previously operated on tissue.  This just means we typically have to go slower and be sure of the tissue we encounter.  In your case the midline scar that you likely have can be beneficial depending on how far up the abdomen it goes.  It may be able to be used to improve the tummy tuck result.  In any case most experienced Plastic Surgeons should be able to handle your case without too much difficulty.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Prior abdominal surgery and tummy tuck

+1
While your situation is unique, an experienced board certified plastic surgeon should be able to address your scarring, hernia and abdominoplasty at the same time. In my practice I would involve a general surgeon as well if there is bowel involvement in the hernia.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty after intestinal surgeries

+1
The concern would be for surgical scar adhesions which would make the dissection lengthier and increase risk of bleeding and other complications. This would not prevent you from having a tummy tuck but it should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon whose underlying training was in general surgery. As with anyone who has undergone prior surgeries, I would want to know your complete medical history and you would have to be medically cleared and have blood values within normal limits. Varioa medications may also present obstacles to elective surgery. All these issues should be discussed during surgical consultation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Complex tummy tucks after previous surgery

+1

You would be best served by a "double Board Certified" plastic surgeon who has done both the full training in general surgery as well as the full training in plastic surgery.  These individuals have "done it all" as far as inside the abdomen surgery and can well assess what your situation requires and can handle it all by themselves.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS