Can I Have a Tummy Tuck 5 Months After Giving Birth?

i consulted 3 surgeons and their opinion differed about the timing . some say not yet some say I can. It's quiet confusing. They agreed on vaser lipo along with tummy tuck. But what about the timing? My baby is only 5 months old Thank you

+2

As Dr Dolsky and other stated, you need in person discussions with a boarded surgeon. I have done this but the patient MUST met a strict qualifications. Like no more planned children, off of breast feeding by 3 months, etc. 

No hard rule

+2

Here  are some hints that may help you; are at your pre pregnancy weight?, are you planning on having more children? how are you going to take care of your child after surgery? Are you breast feeding? are you planning on loosing more wight? 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Postpartum Tummy Tuck

+2

You may or may not be ready for your tummy tuck 5 months following delivery.  If you are at your pre-pregnancy weight and have someone who can help with childcare, there is no obvious advantage to waiting.  On the other hand, if you still have some weight tolose and do not have help with childcare, it probably makes more sense to delay your surgery for a bit.

John Whitt, MD

How long to wait after childbirth for a Tummy Tuck

+2

There are several factors to consider in timing a tummy tuck after childbirth.

Are you planning on more pregnancies? If you are planning on more children, I would recommend waiting until you are finished with your babies. In most cases, a future pregnancy will undo the benefits of the abdominoplasty.

Have you lost your "baby weight" ? You will get your best tummy tuck result if you have returned to your pre pregnancy weight.

Do you have help to take care of your new baby? A full tummy tuck will often tighten and repair the muscles that were stretched during pregnancy. You must avoid lifting and vigorous use of your abdominal muscles for about 6 weeks after the abdominoplasty. This will allow the muscle repair to heal and strengthen.

Good luck,

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Timing of tummy tuck after childbirth

+1
There are a lot of variables to consider including whether you have achieved post partum weight loss, stopped breast feeding and have child care available. It is not too early to being considering your options but the timing of surgery is an individual decision made after surgical recommendation. If you are planning more children, I would recommend that you put off surgery until childbearing has been completed.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck Timing?

+1

There is no magic number of months to wait.  You will know physically (when you are at your baseline weight) and emotionally when you are ready to proceed with this major operation.  This planning would involve making sure you have enough help for your newborn and yourself during the recovery period (approx. 3-4 weeks). 

I do however have another  word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively.
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

I hope this helps

+1

Yes, you can.  But I would caution for you to be sure that you are done with having children, because you get your best results with your first tummy tuck.  Having additional children will stretch you skin more and it will never look as good as after your initial surgery.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon